Thread: Anyone have experience with manual TailDragger Dragger or similar? Or another device

Default Anyone have experience with manual TailDragger Dragger or similar? Or another device

For a couple of reasons (see below if interested) I'd like to get a TailDragger Dragger or rough equivalent for pulling the CC into the hangar. Does anyone have experience with any of the manual aids for moving a tailwheel airplane? What fits? Are there any that one could take with you?

The one I found first was: S-1 Standard Tail Dragger DRAGGER. The price seems to be $220 - 230 but the shipping from the vendor is very high unless you're shipping to a business.

Reasons:
    1. The ramp up to the hangar floor is very steep. This requires a lot of force to move the Cub up the hill. Methinks that eventually I'll have significant wear on the leading edge(s) of the v-stab and h-stab.
    2. This is a shared hangar and I'm not sure everyone will remember the "Carbon Cub Moving Lesson" I gave today. Having a tug-like device should avoid folks pushing on the struts, prop, cowl, ... .
    P.S. - I have the Alaska Bush 3200-like tailwheel.
    Glenn Peterson, N144LP, Red / Grey

Default Re: Anyone have experience with manual TailDragger Dragger or similar? Or another de

I welded up a device similar to the taildragger dragger and it works very well for me.
    However, my ramp is almost level.
    If it were uphill I doubt if it would be as effective.
    You need a winch. There are many available.

One other note-- when my tire pressure is below 15/16 lbs the aircraft is hard to move.
    I have 8.50's installed and some times I like to run them at 12/14 lbs for rough fields.
    Bill

Default Re: Anyone have experience with manual TailDragger Dragger or similar? Or another de

I'm using the Tail Dragger Dragger (manual) and it works fine for us. My wife is small (but fierce) and she has no problem moving the Cub. Our slope, though, is mild.

-Michael

I've been using a Taildragger Dragger for YEARS on everything from J-3's to Sport Cubs to Carbon Cubs, and it works great. Flat concrete pad in front of the hangar, with gentle grass slope down from there to the runway. Really makes moving the airplane around easy, without pushing / pulling on the tailfeather flying wires.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Glenn,

Your link doesn't work so here is the link to the Taildragger Dragger S1. I use one of these quite a bit on the C170 that is our hangarmate and it works well. There is another one out called the Tailwheel Transporter which looks similar. I haven't used this one but you will want to evaluate them both before buying. Looks like the owner of this one has posted over in the Classified section also.

Since these things work on all of our planes I'm moving this thread out to the "General CubCrafters section".
    Randy Lervold

I've got one and it works great - painted it yellow to match the airplane....
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

I use the simple tail-wheel tug sold by AK Bushwheels. Works fine on level ground and an occasional push through the mud to the runway. Ralph

I have had the electric version of the TailDragger Dragger for over 10 years and it works great. It is a bit of overkill for the S-1 but I have used it on other aircraft like the C-180. N50KB