Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stroker 340 Lean Test

Default Re: Stroker 340 Lean Test

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post

To answer your questions - if you don't see a gasket then there is probably an 'O' ring at the junction.
    This is correct. There is a silicone o-ring between the pipe and the aluminum part you see around the pipe with the bolts in it. The o-ring fits in a bevel on the top side of the aluminum part and gets squeezed tight between the port on the head, the pipe, and the aluminum ring with the bolts in it.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    This is correct. There is a silicone o-ring between the pipe and the aluminum part you see around the pipe with the bolts in it. The o-ring fits in a bevel on the top side of the aluminum part and gets squeezed tight between the port on the head, the pipe, and the aluminum ring with the bolts in it.

Pete D.
    Thanks Pete and Randall saves me taking it apart to check it out.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

You asked whether it was possible to convert the CC340 Carbon Cub to fuel injection -- this is really another topic so I started a new thread on it, click here for that thread.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    You asked whether it was possible to convert the CC340 Carbon Cub to fuel injection -- this is really another topic so I started a new thread on it, click here for that thread.
    I think CC did the right thing by sticking with a carburetor rather than a mechanical fuel injection system - which is not a 'system' without a computer reading sensors to tell the injectors what to do. EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection is so proven in the automotive world that it is a given.

But on-board computers controlling their engines are anathema to airman because the computer might fail - meanwhile they stress out their engines while trying to find some magic lean/rich/cool/hot mixture which the computer would find in a second and at every second of flight. Enjoy flying as you enjoy driving. That's the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    I think CC did the right thing by sticking with a carburetor rather than a mechanical fuel injection system - which is not a 'system' without a computer reading sensors to tell the injectors what to do. EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection is so proven in the automotive world that it is a given.

But on-board computers controlling their engines are anathema to airman because the computer might fail - meanwhile they stress out their engines while trying to find some magic lean/rich/cool/hot mixture which the computer would find in a second and at every second of flight. Enjoy flying as you enjoy driving. That's the way it should be.
    Agree, given the weight restrictions a carburetor is about the only choice in the Carbon Cub. Once you get it out the door as an E-LSA the logic changes. I disagree about aircraft mechanical fuel injection. Once they are set up with balanced injectors they work great without any electronic control. Electronic control is needed when leaning is automated or the engine must be run to meet pollution requirements.

I have a turbonormalized Cirrus SR22. It is a set and forget system with mechanical fuel injection. After takeoff you just set the fuel flow at a LOP specific setting (17.6 gph) and forget it till you land. The aircraft is specifically prohibited in the POH from running rich of peak at any setting except full throttle and full rich on takeoff.

Just think guys, if we didn't have all this data on our panels now we'd just move the mixture knob in/out until it was smooth and call it good. Were those "the good old days"? ;-)
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Just think guys, if we didn't have all this data on our panels now we'd just move the mixture knob in/out until it was smooth and call it good. Were those "the good old days"? ;-)
    True, but after replacing a few engines before their time I learned that the guys at Tornado Alley have it right when they say:

"It's not how hard you run your engine, it's how you run your engine hard!"

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    "It's not how hard you run your engine, it's how you run your engine hard!"
    There ya go, Bob, it's all about loving that churning, breathing, turning, friend in front of you! I'm not convinced that it's purely physics in the relationship.
    Last edited by RanRan; 10-11-2010 at 07:57 PM.