Thread: Denso IK27 Iridium Spark Plugs

Default Denso IK27 Iridium Spark Plugs

On the advice of Klaus Savier at LightSpeed Engineering I just installed a set of Denso IK27 Iridium Spark Plugs. Will let you know if I see any difference. At least they are lighter and much smaller.

I have made one flight and can confirm that they work. Need more time to see if they make a difference with engine temperatures.

As you can see in the images below they are very different from the stock Denso plugs.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: Iridium Spark Plugs

We've been studying the spark plug issue and agree that Iridium spark plugs are a better solution. Standard auto plugs, such as the Denso that has been standard on the CC340 so far (supplied with the ignition system from LightSpeed), provide adequate service but have a limited life in an aircraft engine. Accordingly, we are considering switching to Denso or NGK Iridiums as standard in the future. In the mean time for those interested...

Standard plugs: Denso W27EXR-U
    Iridium upgrade: NGK BR8ECMIX or DENSO IK27

Product info here
    Can be purchased at Amazon or sparkplugs.com
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Denso IK27 Iridium Spark Plugs

Just a note on ignition system maintenance;

Light Speed recommends cleaning and checking the gap on the plugs every 100 hours.

I haven't seen any iridium plugs that have that much time on them yet, but the standard plugs we've seen come through that have 100 hours on them DO need re-gapping at that time. They are cheap enough that instead of spending the labor time to gap and clean them its more economical just to swap in new ones. If they were to be cleaned/gapped I would estimate they would have approximately a 300 hour life.

Pete D.

Default Re: CC340 spark plugs

I put the iridium plugs in N298A a couple of weeks ago, and they are GREAT!! No more "hesitation" on take-off from running a bit too rich; engine is smooth as glass!! Good choice!!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Hello All,

The question was brought to me today asking about the proper gap for the Denso IK27 Iridium Plugs. After a call to Klaus at Lightspeed, I was recommended to gap the plugs to .30-.32. He had also mentioned that as it wears, the gap will increase to .40. At this point, you should re-gap, or as Pete had mentioned earlier, replace them. At about $15.00 a plug for a 300 hr life, it’s not a bad deal at all.

Are Denso IK27 Iridium still the recommended plugs for the CC 340?
    Jon

Any thoughts on how these plugs would work in a Sport Cub with the XP mod or is strictly an electronic ignition plug?
    Last edited by cityrancher; 08-05-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cityrancher View Post
    Any thoughts on how these plugs would work in a Sport Cub with the XP mod or is strictly an electronic ignition plug?
    This plug will not work with the magnetos on a Sport Cub. Takes an automotive style wire and is a smaller diameter hole in the cylinder.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc