Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Default More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

I have my S2 in for annual inspection and the mechanic noticed an area of carbon in three cylinder barrels. The compressions were all good 76/80 to 78/80. He then found small leaks at those sites and cracks upon further inspection in 3 of the cylinders. Also one of them was porous with leaks in multiple places! This is after a total of 162 hours ! When he called TCM they did not seem interested until he mentioned the porous cylinder. They then agreed to replace all four of the cylinders. I have had good oil temps (under 200 degrees) and rarely lean unless flying above 5000 ft. It seems that TCM continues to have quality control problems but at least because of all of the previous cylinder problems people have had, they are willing to replace them even 5 days after the warranty ran out.

Default Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Quote Originally Posted by foxstardoc View Post
    It seems that TCM continues to have quality control problems ...
    ...And the company casting their cylinder barrels. Wow. I'd be checking the crankcase for the same problems.

I have 160 hours now on my 4 new cylinders from TCM and a stuck exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder. So that is the third cylinder of mine to go bad.
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

And the beat goes on !!! I wonder how many O-200's in the past 5 years have had these problems. I plan to send my cylinders to CubCrafters around annual time to do the Standard Performance Package. I would do the Deluxe Performance Package but I'm not up to fly to YKM and back to Georgia.

Thumbs up Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Quote Originally Posted by foxstardoc View Post
    And the beat goes on !!! I wonder how many O-200's in the past 5 years have had these problems. I plan to send my cylinders to CubCrafters around annual time to do the Standard Performance Package. I would do the Deluxe Performance Package but I'm not up to fly to YKM and back to Georgia.
    http://www.eci.aero/pages/products_titan.aspx

ECI has designed their own 0-200 cylinders - they come with a five year warranty.

Their design has addressed the problems people are having with the TCM cylinders and valves and valve guides.

They are the same people who helped CC tweak the Carbon Cub Titan engine.

Apparently, they know the 0-200 engine better than TCM does...or cares enough to fix.
    Last edited by RanRan; 06-25-2011 at 07:27 AM.

ECI has always had cylinders for the o-200, but when I last checked they didn't fit the o-200a
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

I put ECI nickel carbide cylinders on my O200-A last year during a top overhaul. Worked out nice. You have to specify the one's which have the STC (TISN61.1DCA).

Link to their chart: http://www.eci.aero/pdf/CylinderAppChart(M289).pdf

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    I put ECI nickel carbide cylinders on my O200-A last year during a top overhaul. Worked out nice.
    Thanks, Tony. But can you elaborate on that a little? Did the ECI cylinders solve some problems? Like, permanently?

I conversed with Aero Sports (Bart, Mary) a few months back and ECI cylinders, high-compression pistons, and electronic ignition (Lightspeed) was a piece of cake for them in tweaking the 0-200A.

A 2000 hour TBO should mean worry-free, problem-free flying for the entire period.

does that make the airplane experimental?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

Quote Originally Posted by Pokette View Post
    does that make the airplane experimental?
    If you are going to be upping the compression by changing out the pistons, yes. If you are just haveing the valve train geometry reworked, then no, it can stay S-LSA.

Pete D.