Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Default Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Started getting backfire at idle, my mechanic checked timing (good) and compression. Compression was 60 on #1 with exhaust leaks. Took it to cylinder shop today and he said exhaust valve was shot. Hope Continental can readily supply a new one. He said it had been running too lean. Have 320 hours now and this is the first one to go bad. Of note, he said That the valves were from an o-360 and showed me the difference from older O-200 valves. Think I might add egt/cht to monitor better. Has anyone added this to an S2?

Jon
    Sport Cub S2 s/n 52
    Airplane went in for the annual today, and 2 more cylinders are leaking by the exhaust valves. Bringing them to the cylinder shop to fix. Not real happy with Continental O-200As right now. Has anyone found a shop that can solve the issues long term? When I visited the "Aerosport?" booth from at Oshkosh they seemed to indicate they were no longer doing the enhancements to fix the issues long term.

Jon
    Sport Cub S2 s/n 52

I think Ly-Con in California did the last set for us.

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I think Ly-Con in California did the last set for us.

Pete D.
    Pete

Do you know what they did...just replace valves or anything else?

Jon

We have been doing the full upgrade, IE port/polish, high compression pistons, 3 angle valve job and I believe they replace valve guides and ream them, maybe a few other small things in the valve train. Not all of that can be done and still keep the airplane S-LSA. The airplane we are putting these cylinders on will be E-LSA.

Pete D.

I was planning to go yesterday to a DAR for LSA in the Atlanta area but the weather prevented me from going. I had 4 new TCM cylinders put in January and they seem to be running well but the engine does not seem to be as powerful as before. I initially wanted to have the "Standard Performance Package" but Stan told me that Cubcrafters stopped doing that. Instead they still can do the "Deluxe Performance Package" with high compression cylinders but that requires a change from S-LSA to E-LSA. I have been told that my insurance may go up with E-LSA and that once it is done, there is no turning back to S-LSA by the FAA. I'm still trying to decide what to do. It amazes me that there are so many Continental O-200A's out there running just fine and yet many of us with Sport Cubs have had so many cylinder problems.
    Ken

Ken
    Getting ready to convert mine to E-LSA Glickle gave me a DARs # who did his,called him, no longer doing inspection if you find somebody up there let me know.I could easly fly it up there for inspection.Be nice to find somebody whos done one(heard it can be a pian). I cant seem to find any major disadvantages to doing it.
    Chuck

Chuck,

The guy's name is Mike Huffman. He works out of LZU which is east of PDK in Atlanta.Here is a link to his web site. http://www.sportaviationspecialties....Course_AP2.htm . He got the info from me via Email and phone and said it would take around an hour to do. I may still do that. Have you heard if anyone's insurance went up after becoming E-LSA?

Ken

Thanks Ken
    I will call him later. Talking to Glickle and reading post i havent heard of any insurance issues I guess it would be best to call your agent get a quote( Ill do that today).I see your at Pickens county airport nice place stoped there on way back from OSH,met the front porch gang they told me there was a CC based on the field, I think manager tryed to call you while I was there. Great veiw
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by foxstardoc View Post
    I was planning to go yesterday to a DAR for LSA in the Atlanta area but the weather prevented me from going. I had 4 new TCM cylinders put in January and they seem to be running well but the engine does not seem to be as powerful as before. I initially wanted to have the "Standard Performance Package" but Stan told me that Cubcrafters stopped doing that. Instead they still can do the "Deluxe Performance Package" with high compression cylinders but that requires a change from S-LSA to E-LSA. I have been told that my insurance may go up with E-LSA and that once it is done, there is no turning back to S-LSA by the FAA. I'm still trying to decide what to do. It amazes me that there are so many Continental O-200A's out there running just fine and yet many of us with Sport Cubs have had so many cylinder problems.
    Ken
    Hi Ken!, As for insurance I did not have any increase in premium going from SLSA to ELSA in the Carbon Cub but did have a hefty increase when I added the Bauman Amphibs. I use Jim Stewart at Falcon and have had great service and he also insured my Sport Cub when it was SLSA. I had to be convinced to go ELSA and now glad I did. As for the O-200 s I have personlly taked to 5 Legend owners who also are experiencing the same valve guide and cylinder issues we had. Cold comfort at best but was wondering if we were the only ones. E.G. Frank Noble has a Legend on Baumans and just had to rebuild his entire 0-200 engine 9about 500 hrs) and went with the HP increase also. I think I recall Dons Dream Machines in your area did the rebuild. Strongly suggest to anyone to have a shop other than TCM do the rebuild and seems the problems go away. Not good news for the pocket book but a solution that seems to have worked that some have elected even before warranty ran out as the TCM experience was so painful. Best Gary

Ken,

Last March, I had the "delightful" experience of visiting the Atlanta FSDO to get a Carbon Cub converted from S-LSA to E-LSA. I can tell you that prior to my visit (which took all day, and a part of the next day), no one at the FSDO had any kind of solid understanding of the LSA markets, or the airplanes that market encompasses. At one point, we had the aviation safety inspector I was dealing with (Terry Keberly), the local FSDO maintenance inspector, and two guys in Oklahoma City all on a conference call, trying to decide how to handle this. To make a very long and very boring story somewhat shorter, I do think that Mr. Keberly now understands what it is we are trying to accomplish, and should someone need to make another go at it, maybe it will be easier. (Note: I'm not sure I recall why I went to the FSDO and not to a DAR, but I do remember making that decision in concert with CubCrafters engineering guys; plus, it's "free" at the FSDO, assuming your time is worth nothing)

As to insurance, I've never had any "issues" with the insurance company regarding E-LSA vs. S-LSA. When I went from a Sport Cub S-LSA demo airplane, to a Carbon Cub E-LSA demo, the only change in premium was to cover the increased hull value of the Carbon Cub. I fully agree with Gary Lickle, and my experience mirrors his.

On the Continental engine issue, I can highly recommend Don Swords at Don's Dream Machines for any work on the engine. Don is the local acknowledged "guru" of small Continentals; in fact, he just completed some mag and carburetor work on a 75 HP J-3 for me yesterday. He's a good guy, reasonably priced, and it will get done RIGHT!. Again, not an "easy on the wallet" answer, but to me, far preferable to letting Continental attempt to remedy bad engineering with more bad engineering.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA