Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Default Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Ran,
    The cylinders had over 700 hours on them (most TCM only get 500), and was fouling the lower plugs - cylinders 1 and 4 if I recall correctly. I had to clean the plugs before almost every flight. They were also subject to AD 96-12-06 which limited the timing to 24 degrees. The ECI jugs fixed all the problems, haven't had any issues with them. I burn auto-gas, so I didn't up the compression with different pistons.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    They were also subject to AD 96-12-06 which limited the timing to 24 degrees. The ECI jugs fixed all the problems...
    Tony. Does that mean you are running at 28 degrees with the improved cylinders per the directive? If so...That's got to add a little kick - but are they running as cool?

Ran

yes, 28 degrees. increased static some - noticable, but not dramatic. They run cooler than the TCM cylinders from what I can measure (no electric in the plane).

Started getting backfire at idle, my mechanic checked timing (good) and compression. Compression was 60 on #1 with exhaust leaks. Took it to cylinder shop today and he said exhaust valve was shot. Hope Continental can readily supply a new one. He said it had been running too lean. Have 320 hours now and this is the first one to go bad. Of note, he said That the valves were from an o-360 and showed me the difference from older O-200 valves. Think I might add egt/cht to monitor better. Has anyone added this to an S2?

Jon
    Sport Cub S2 s/n 52

I think there are a couple out there. I have talked to a few people who have one, but I don't know the results. I have been considering one installed maybe at next annual since I had a valve stick 2 months ago.

So... would CC write me a letter for this one?

3AQ4-41KV.jpg

Replace the oil pressure/temp with this quad gauge - put the cht and egt on the #2 (hottest) cylinder for me I think. BTW do we have 3.25" gauges?
    Diana Votaw
    N110CV

I think a request for LOA would go through Jason Tepool? If not he would know the correct process.

The panel will have standard sized holes. The larger ones will be 3 1/8". Some of the later panels also will use the smaller sized 2 1/4" gages, or a mix of the two. Everything you have Pokette will be the 3 1/8".

Pete D.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I think a request for LOA would go through Jason Tepool? If not he would know the correct process.

The panel will have standard sized holes. The larger ones will be 3 1/8". Some of the later panels also will use the smaller sized 2 1/4" gages, or a mix of the two. Everything you have Pokette will be the 3 1/8".

Pete D.
    Correct, and it already has...we started this a few months ago.

Question Re: More TCM cylinder problems in O-200A

Hmmm....what about replacing the current oil press/oil temp gauge (3 1/8") with a JPI EDM-800 that would provide oil temp, oil press, 4 cyl egt/cht and also fuel flow/fuel remaining? Could this be done with an LOA from CC? Just a thought. I have had this on another aircraft previously and it was great. Not sure if anyone has done this.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    Hmmm....what about replacing the current oil press/oil temp gauge (3 1/8") with a JPI EDM-800 that would provide oil temp, oil press, 4 cyl egt/cht and also fuel flow/fuel remaining? Could this be done with an LOA from CC? Just a thought. I have had this on another aircraft previously and it was great. Not sure if anyone has done this.

Jon
    I don't have record of anyone having done this. If someone wants to do it and sends me an email telling me what item they want to replace and with what item, I can put it up for review. I wouldn't expect many issues with most of these products.

Quote Originally Posted by pokette View Post
    i think there are a couple out there. I have talked to a few people who have one, but i don't know the results. I have been considering one installed maybe at next annual since i had a valve stick 2 months ago.

So... Would cc write me a letter for this one?

3AQ4-41KV.jpg

replace the oil pressure/temp with this quad gage - put the cht and egt on the #2 (hottest) cylinder for me i think. Btw do we have 3.25" gauges?
    diana - if you install westech, note that cht will need a scale to at least 400 deg F. Gauge shown will peg with engine producing power.