Thread: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Default Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

hey all, wondering if upgrading from the bungee suspension to a modern shock will add anything to the top end? very interested in something like acme aero and I understand the benefits, I was wondering if drag is reduced also. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Hi Robby,

There is no speed difference over the bungees but there are several benefits. Would love to talk with you about the acme suspension upgrade, give me a call at 805-441-9573.

-Ben
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

Wink Re: Any top in speed gain from a suspension upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbymc View Post
    hey all, wondering if upgrading from the bungee suspension to a modern shock will add anything to the top end? very interested in something like acme aero and I understand the benefits, I was wondering if drag is reduced also. Thanks in advance.
    No noticeable horizontal gain but a definite reduction vertically. Now on the other end a T3 will give you about 30MPH. lol

I wonder if it is possible to install fairings on AOSS or Acme shocks. I have read that it can add 2-3 mph to have fairings on stock bungees. On an FX3 or xcub, that number could be even higher. I know this is a sport cub question though, and on any of them it might not be practical from a maintenance and durability standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    I wonder if it is possible to install fairings on AOSS or Acme shocks. I have read that it can add 2-3 mph to have fairings on stock bungees. On an FX3 or xcub, that number could be even higher. I know this is a sport cub question though, and on any of them it might not be practical from a maintenance and durability standpoint.
    What Carbon Cubs do not have fairings on bungee gear when bungee gear is fitted?

I have seen a photo of fairings on Acme shocks but I don't remember what speed increase, if any, was claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What Carbon Cubs do not have fairings on bungee gear when bungee gear is fitted?
    I had hydrosorb/bungees on my EX to begin with. I did not fair them. I used the black vinyl snap on pouches that Dodge sells. Easier to inspect the bungees and I personally think the Piper style fairings are just plain ugly.

Going from 31s to skis I see about a 5 mph increase in cruise speed. Big tires have a drag penalty for sure. Something the size of an Acme shock I doubt is going to make a noticeable difference.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011