Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Hi all has anyone replaced their battery as yet and if so any recomendations for more cranking amps? Here in Florida when the temps are hot well inot the 90s the hot starts are taking their toll on my battery and probably starter although I have no problems with my starter as yet. On cold start the battery starter combo works well and will turn the motor over easliy enough but when hot, I only get about a 1/3 turn and the compression stops the turn over yet I can the bump the starter past it to get a start. I am sure its taking a toll on the starter during that momentary hang and wondering if there is a battery out there same size that has more cranking amps that will help much like the Optima batterys we use for boats and cars. I recall numerous posts on teh old S2 site and some good advise there but cant recall the brand suggested. Best Gary

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

I had just bought a battery that seems to work well its a Power Sonic PTX14BS-FS. I had bought another brand but when I charged it it leaked acid all over. I think I paid around $70.00 for it it seems to work well in Alabama so I think it would work in Fla. I will find out where I bought it and let you know. How I found the dealer was Google the PTX # and find the best deal.
    EV

The telephone # for the PTX14BS-FS dealer is 508-378-2284.
    EV

Hi all back with a solution! Our stock battery (or at least the one that came in my Carbon Cub is a Power Sonic PTX14-BS-FS rated at CCA 200. Its causing that hesitation I discussed below and once when really hot would not turn the 340 over till I let it cool down. I tried the Odyssey route and "forget about it" as the dimensions will not fit and I am told that they need a constant charge rate of 14.25-14.5 volts volts and our alternators are not set that high. Sooooooooooo I found an Xtreme X2-14 exact same dimensions and rated at 220 CCA and installed it today and problems GONE! It cranks without hesitation hot or cold and has a 2 year warranty. Quality construction is much better like the pre drilled posts etc. and while I did not weigh it it feels about the same as the stock battery and its AGM. Its a bit more at $94 but it works! Best Gary

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...Lightning.aspx

Note the ads say 200CCA but the newer version of the battery is 220CCA and is labeled as such
    Last edited by glickle; 08-30-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi all back with a solution! Our stock battery (or at least the one that came in my Carbon Cub is a Power Sonic PTX14-BS-FS rated at CCA 200. Its causing that hesitation I discussed below and once when really hot would not turn the 340 over till I let it cool down. I tried the Odyssey route and "forget about it" as the dimensions will not fit and I am told that they need a constant charge rate of 14.25-14.5 volts volts and our alternators are not set that high. Sooooooooooo I found an Xtreme X2-14 exact same dimensions and rated at 220 CCA and installed it today and problems GONE! It cranks without hesitation hot or cold and has a 2 year warranty. Quality construction is much better like the pre drilled posts etc. and while I did not weigh it it feels about the same as the stock battery and its AGM. Its a bit more at $94 but it works! Best Gary

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...Lightning.aspx

Note the ads say 200CCA but the newer version of the battery is 220CCA and is labeled as such
    Great find. Just ordered one.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

This new battery (on the left image below) cranks the engine with more vigor than the one that came with my CC.

Safety Alert: May be just my airplane but when I removed the original battery there were no lock washers on the battery lugs. Based on wiring diagrams both electronic ignition modules are tied right to the lugs of the battery. Should a lug become disconnected the alternator will continue to serve the electrical system but the ignition and the motor will fail.

New battery came with lock washers.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Hi Guys, Am sure its not anything you did incorrectly . I have over 300 hours on my engine and was experiencing not just hesitation but rather the cranking would stop on the compression stroke when hot from time to time. When I replaced it with the X2 no more hot start cranking stoppage AND as Bob says its sure helps with the hesitation but can't say the hesitation completely goes away rather I do notice it gets past that hesitation better. I leave the low battery warning issue up to the guys who have dynon if that is a hint of anything else. Hope that Helps regards Gary

I have not had any experience with the exact model you are referencing however have had nothng but excellent results inother applications with the Yuasa battery line so IF they have 240 CCA I would try it. I must also now confess that after a year and 360 hours , my Xtreme X2-14 220 CCA is now exhibiting the same signs of not getting the starter over the hump although it did perform better than the Power Sonic till about a month ago. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    , I only get about a 1/3 turn and the compression stops the turn over yet I can the bump the starter past it to get a start.
    We have found (the hard way) that you do NOT want to "bump" the starter in a Carbon Cub. It works fine on an engine with magnetos, but because of the way the hall effect sensor works with the flywheel, as the flywheel goes backwards/forwards when you bump it, it is possible for it to get the timing off and get a pretty hard kickback against the starter.

If it won't go over compression stroke when trying to crank, you need to let off the key for a little longer than you would need to with magnetos. What happens, it sees the first pair of magnets in the flywheel go by, then you bump it, and the magnets go by again, throws the timing off be cause it counts the magnets passing by as part of its indexing to know when to fire. (I'm probably not explaining it quite right, but you get the picture)

You need to pause for a few seconds before going for the second attempt on cranking, to let the electronic ignition zero itself again...

Pete D.

Thanks Pete and great information for all of us as I certainly did not know that . I may have used the wrong words re "bumping " as yes I do let off the starter and try again like you say but not because I knew what you posted. As you stated the starter will not always when hot take the engine past that compression stage and will halt. Is this normal on all our 340ss or can we get a bit more out of a higher cranking amp battery or am I chasing windmills? I now recall the prior forum discussion re batterys and an Odysey AGM Military spec Battery was recomended and I see they claim to offer up 5 second cranking amps well above 200 which is our current battery rating. Has anyone tried an Odysey and will a PC545 fit as I see its slightly longer than a 14-BS. Regards Gary and also thanks EV

Here are the specs
    Length 6 7/8 in.
    Width 3 1/4 in.
    Height 5 1/8 in.
    Drycell Battery
    Without Metal Jacket
    12 Volt
    12 Ah @ 10hr rate
    185 CCA
    545 Cranking Amps for 5 Seconds
    18 Minute Reserve Capacity
    Cycle life @ 77°F 400 at 100% DOD
    -40°F to 140°F Temperature Range
    More Specs: (Adobe PDF)
    Catalogue number PC545
    Last edited by glickle; 08-29-2010 at 01:58 PM.