Thread: Autopilot disconnect ??

Default Autopilot disconnect ??

Currently a new owner of a 2015 SS with an autopilot installed. The interface to use the autopilot is through the G3X, the plane does have electric trim on the stick up front. My question is this - does this plane potentially not have a quick disconnect for the autopilot? Is it possible that when exercising the electric trim while the autopilot is engaged will disengage the autopilot? Or is it possible that you have to go in to onscreen panel and turn off the AP that way?
    Haven't flown the plane much at this point outside the pattern so haven't had the chance to play with AP.

Thx for the comments

Default Re: Autopilot disconnect ??

Quote Originally Posted by justintapper View Post
    Currently a new owner of a 2015 SS with an autopilot installed. The interface to use the autopilot is through the G3X, the plane does have electric trim on the stick up front. My question is this - does this plane potentially not have a quick disconnect for the autopilot? Is it possible that when exercising the electric trim while the autopilot is engaged will disengage the autopilot? Or is it possible that you have to go in to onscreen panel and turn off the AP that way?

I don't have, and have not flown, an SS. I do have an FX-3 with Garmin GSA 28 smart servos and G3X autopilot.

No, manual trim should not disconnect the autopilot. In fact the AP issues trim up and trim down commands when the servos are holding torque against aircraft trim. The pilot is required to react to these trim commands with manual trim or, sometimes better, throttle adjustments.

FX-3/EX-3 have an AP disconnect switch on the front stick. I would be surprised if SS did not have an AP disconnect switch and I'd install one ASAP if it did not.

Your AP should be set up so you can overpower the AP servos with reasonable stick forces. If the AP does something you don't like then over-power it and kill the SERVO breaker switch. (hopefully have one of those).

For routine AP disconnect the G3X AP GUI may be adequate but I would not want to fly an aircraft with AP and no AP disconnect switch on the stick or yoke.

Andy - thx for responding - right on par with what I was thinking in terms of 'can't really wrap my head around an autopilot that doesn't have a disconnect button somewhere.' I'll do some digging around next time I make it down to my plane. My SS also has the Garmin 28 with Garmin servos so I'm guessing I must simply be overlooking the disconnect.

Thx again,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by justintapper View Post
    Andy - thx for responding - right on par with what I was thinking in terms of 'can't really wrap my head around an autopilot that doesn't have a disconnect button somewhere.' I'll do some digging around next time I make it down to my plane. My SS also has the Garmin 28 with Garmin servos so I'm guessing I must simply be overlooking the disconnect.

Thx again,
    Justin
    im at 8D4 sparta if you want to stop by we have several carbon cubs on field i can look at what you got and maybe help you out. we have built several carbon cubs with all garmin .give me a call if you want 616-291-3969 thanks gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepgord View Post
    im at 8D4 sparta if you want to stop by we have several carbon cubs on field i can look at what you got and maybe help you out. we have built several carbon cubs with all garmin .give me a call if you want 616-291-3969 thanks gordon.
    Its usually half way down the stick on the front below push to talk. Gordon would be a great resource if you need help.
    Thanks
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Sounds great Gordon - when I get back to flying (laid up with some medical stuff at moment) I'll definitely plan on giving you a ring and heading north to visit Thx!