Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    Gary,
    Just wondering if you can update how you are going with the Aero Lithium battery? I am getting near to needing a new battery so am interested in all the different lithium types. Paul.
    Paul your ears ( or maybe fingers in the case of typing) were burning, Just posted this August 28th a few posts back. Best Gary

PS is anyone else out there running a Aerolituim Battery? If so please chime in with your experience.

Just a follow up FYI to my previous post on Best Batterys I now have about 5 months and over several hundred hot weather and seriously hot starts here in Florida on the Aero Lithium battery and worked for me every time. ( I have tried the Power Sports, Shorai Lithium, the Yuasa and the Extreme X2 - the best in lead acid I found). The Lithium Iron is expensive and yet unproven no doubt but the only one that has consistently worked for me and I no longer feel like your last post, worried in the Bush or on the water (I am on amphibs) as to whether I can restart. Randy reports the Shorai Lithium has worked for the Cubcrafters demo plane but some of us have unfortunatley not had a simlar experience. Like on eof the posts said however do not ask them about putting it in an aiplane as they will stop talking to you. I had purchased a second AeroLithium and carry it in the baggage compartment as I was not sure what to expect (do NOT jump a lithium battery and only use a balanced charger made for lithuim batteries!) and I have thus far never had to use it. Its also 3 lbs vs 12. Best Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 08-31-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks Gary. I read the wrong date on your earlier post, but it is very informative and helpful.

As I have to get a new battery soon I am very interested in updated experiences people have had with Lithium Iron batteries.
    Looking at the various types and sizes it would be possible to fit 500 CCA types (by placing on their side or getting special builds). I assume the more CCAs the better, even though there is a weight penalty? Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    If you know you are going to restart the plane within an hour or so then I've found that shutting it off with the key (leave the mixture in) guarrantees an instant start. I do that with demo flights all the time.
    Apparently there have been two reports of backfires on start using this shutdown technique, I therefore retract my suggestion.
    Randy Lervold

I have never written on this forum. Of course, I read it daily. Now, is the time to share my information.

I have had my CC for over 2 years. I change the battery once a year. Year 1 and year 2, I flew the aircraft approximately 150 hours, with no real battery problems. Of course, I utilized the charging mechanism recommeded by CubCrafters in the forum. Year 3, I flew the aircraft approximately 10 hours, still employed the charger, the battery failed, and would not take a re-charge!

I followed the forum discussion, talked with my mechanic, researched each battery that was mentioned on the forum, talked with the AeroLithium Battery representative and decided on the AeroLithium Battery.

I flew the aircraft in the heat of the summer in Houston, Texas. In case you do not know, it was HOT! I have not had a problem with hot starts. I recently went on vacation, did not fly for about about 3 weeks. I went to the airport yesterday (no charger now) and the battery started the engine instantly.

Prior batteries merely cranked the engine very slowly, but the AeroLithium Battery spins the engine robustly! It costs much more, but for a $200,000 airplane, it, for now, seems a major improvement.

Rokki

(CC#127)

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Apparently there have been two reports of backfires on start using this shutdown technique, I therefore retract my suggestion.
    Randy, I too have had backfires using that technique, but can you explain the problem, ie can it cause damage to the starter motor or are there other issues? Thanks, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    Randy, I too have had backfires using that technique, but can you explain the problem, ie can it cause damage to the starter motor or are there other issues? Thanks, Paul.
    I don't have first hand knowledge but heard there were backfires that cause the intake tubes to come loose in some manner.
    Randy Lervold

Gary or Rokki,

Do either of you happen to have the part number on that Aerolithium battery handy?

Thank you,
    Eric Standley

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Standley View Post
    Gary or Rokki,

Do either of you happen to have the part number on that Aerolithium battery handy?

Thank you,
    Eric Standley
    Here you go! The guy's name is Andy Ebike and he is in Jacksonville FL. 850-665-2383 and here is the website www.aerolithium.com Mine is still working great since I installed it in April and have over 200 hours on it and I carry a spare since they are so light but have not had to use it. Remember DO NOT JUMP these batteires if you for any reason go belw 12 volts. Let us know how yours works out. best Gary

Thanks so much Gary, great talking with you today!

I've had four different batteries in my EX now. Two were lead acid batteries starting with the Power Sport. Then I changed out to the Xtreme X2-14. Next I caught the lightweight lithium idea and went with the Adventure Power APP14A1-BS12. None of these were winners in my opinion with the Adventure Power lithium a real dud. It would not turn the engine over a full turn without stopping. This is a repackaged Shorai.

The last one is a 500 amp lightweight from Aerolithium at 3.7 pounds. Discussing this with Andy he said that the 500 amp version would be best. So far he's right. I would consider this as an 'experimental' battery at this point because the case is not refined enough to be considered a consumer battery. But it is lightweight and has plenty of amps for the task. At least so far. Time and cold weather will soon tell.

IMG_0379.jpg

(The white plastic strips are in place to tighten the fit between the seat base and the seat.)
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011