Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Looking at the last photo you posted there, is that an ELT antenna and a COM antenna right next to each other?

Most ELT installation instructions specify something like 4 feet minimum between the ELT and any COM antennas.

I have seen cases where the ELT would be activated when the COM transmitted on certain frequencies. This was with the old 121.5 ELTs though, I would guess the new 406 elts may have better shielding.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Just a follow up FYI to my previous post on Best Batterys I now have about 5 months and over several hundred hot weather and seriously hot starts here in Florida on the Aero Lithium battery and worked for me every time. ( I have tried the Power Sports, Shorai Lithium, the Yuasa and the Extreme X2 - the best in lead acid I found). The Lithium Iron is expensive and yet unproven no doubt but the only one that has consistently worked for me and I no longer feel like your last post, worried in the Bush or on the water (I am on amphibs) as to whether I can restart. Randy reports the Shorai Lithium has worked for the Cubcrafters demo plane but some of us have unfortunatley not had a simlar experience. Like on eof the posts said however do not ask them about putting it in an aiplane as they will stop talking to you. I had purchased a second AeroLithium and carry it in the baggage compartment as I was not sure what to expect (do NOT jump a lithium battery and only use a balanced charger made for lithuim batteries!) and I have thus far never had to use it. Its also 3 lbs vs 12. Best Gary

If you know you are going to restart the plane within an hour or so then I've found that shutting it off with the key (leave the mixture in) guarrantees an instant start. I do that with demo flights all the time.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    If you know you are going to restart the plane within an hour or so then I've found that shutting it off with the key (leave the mixture in) guarrantees an instant start. I do that with demo flights all the time.
    Randy, that is contrary to what we've all been taught since our first lesson as a student pilot. So I assume that what you're implying is that with an engine without mags there isn't a danger of an accidental start if the prop is rotated?

I really like the weight savings of the lithium iron batteries but they seem to require a different technique I haven't mastered yet.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Randy, that is contrary to what we've all been taught since our first lesson as a student pilot. So I assume that what you're implying is that with an engine without mags there isn't a danger of an accidental start if the prop is rotated?
    I know, we were all taught to shut the engine off with mixture which both prevents it from starting by accident with a hot mag and also keeps any residual fuel off the cylinder walls. But, to ensure you get restarted quickly when you know you are only shutting down for a short time, and with proper discipline in keeping the key OUT of the ignition whenever it is not running, then I have found it an effective technique.

Think about it, you shut your car off every single day with the ignition. Once you try your CC340 this way you'll be amazed at how much faster it starts... one blade usually.
    Randy Lervold

Randy that makes alot of sense especially water ops so I will try that one as never have, Thanks for the tip. best Gary

I have been doing the key shutoff for hot starts per Ben Redman's suggestion for about two weeks now and find the CC-340 starts in less than half a turn. Great idea for saving battery drain.

Kelly Anderson
    Carbon Cub #206

Quote Originally Posted by kelly88 View Post
    I have been doing the key shutoff for hot starts per Ben Redman's suggestion for about two weeks now and find the CC-340 starts in less than half a turn. Great idea for saving battery drain.
    Just be sure the mags aren't hot when people are near the prop!
    Jeff Jacobs
    Vancouver WA / KVUO
    C-172N-180

Quote Originally Posted by Pilawt View Post
    Just be sure the mags aren't hot when people are near the prop!
    That's why I'm so fanatic about not having the key in the ignition at all unless you are prepared to start.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Just a follow up FYI to my previous post on Best Batterys I now have about 5 months and over several hundred hot weather and seriously hot starts here in Florida on the Aero Lithium battery and worked for me every time. ( I have tried the Power Sports, Shorai Lithium, the Yuasa and the Extreme X2 - the best in lead acid I found). The Lithium Iron is expensive and yet unproven no doubt but the only one that has consistently worked for me and I no longer feel like your last post, worried in the Bush or on the water (I am on amphibs) as to whether I can restart. Randy reports the Shorai Lithium has worked for the Cubcrafters demo plane but some of us have unfortunatley not had a simlar experience. Like on eof the posts said however do not ask them about putting it in an aiplane as they will stop talking to you. I had purchased a second AeroLithium and carry it in the baggage compartment as I was not sure what to expect (do NOT jump a lithium battery and only use a balanced charger made for lithuim batteries!) and I have thus far never had to use it. Its also 3 lbs vs 12. Best Gary
    Gary,
    Just wondering if you can update how you are going with the Aero Lithium battery? I am getting near to needing a new battery so am interested in all the different lithium types. Paul.