Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Go to Aeorvoltz.com or google Aerovoltz you will see the battery I am talking about.

Aerovoltz12 Cell Lithium Battery

Dimensions 4.5in x 3.5in x 3.5in
    Weight 2.5 lb
    Voltage (Charged) 13.6V
    Amperage 20 Pbeq A/H
    Cold Cranking Amps 410
    Operating Environment -30°C (-22°F) to 60°C (140°F)

I had installed a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 in Oct. 2011, last week the voltage dropped to 7.85 volts I put it on the charger in an hour it said it was fully charged it still read 7.85 volts. I contacted the Shorai people they said I had the wrong size for my garden tractor, I explained I didn't have a garden tractor the battery was in an airplane. Received an answer today saying there batteries are not approved to installed in an aircraft. I went back thru the warranty paper and there is no mention of any restriction on installing in an aircraft, I mentioned that to them have not got an answer yet. Mabe if you have a problem with a Shorai battery let them think its in a tractor.
    EV

Aircraft Spruce started carrying these (another lithium). http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...se4battery.php It looks like it will fit if the specs are correct.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Aircraft Spruce started carrying these (another lithium). http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...se4battery.php It looks like it will fit if the specs are correct.
    Tony
    Well I think I can safely say buying a VDC Electronics BatteryMinder model 12248 has eliminated my starting concerns. I am using an Xtreme X2-14 battery and leave the Battery Minder on whenever I leave the Cub. Since I am not able to fly the Carbon Cub every week I was very concerned about the starting issues. Hot starts after a fuel stop was an initial concern. But the combination of the Xtreme X2-14 and the battery minder has never let me down. The battery is now 1 year old and I have about 100 hours of flight time. Hot started after two stops last weekend with excellent results. And when your flights are in Texas in summer, HOT STARTS ARE HOT........John

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    I had installed a Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 in Oct. 2011, last week the voltage dropped to 7.85 volts I put it on the charger in an hour it said it was fully charged it still read 7.85 volts. I contacted the Shorai people they said I had the wrong size for my garden tractor, I explained I didn't have a garden tractor the battery was in an airplane. Received an answer today saying there batteries are not approved to installed in an aircraft. I went back thru the warranty paper and there is no mention of any restriction on installing in an aircraft, I mentioned that to them have not got an answer yet. Mabe if you have a problem with a Shorai battery let them think its in a tractor.
    EV

EV, how many hours did you have on this lithium iron battery before it died? I installed an Adventure Power APP14A1-BS12 that appears to be made by Shorai also in my EX. Probably the same battery as the one you tried but with a different label.

The paperwork with the battery says to not use the battery in a charging system putting out more than 14.4 volts. My Electronics International VA 1A says I am charging at 14.3 volts. I don't know if the voltage regulator built into the Denso alternator is adjustable if need be?

I don't have much time on mine yet but I didn't have very good success with the original Power Sonic or the Xtreme X2-14. I got about 125 hours on the Power Sonic before it seemed to be getting weak. On the Xtreme I replaced it after about 15 hours. In fairness to the Xtreme it was still doing the job but was getting slower at cranking.

When I changed the W&B in my Excel file it was nice to see the battery weight go from 11 pounds to 1.8. This battery makes a noise too when the master is turned on. I can hear a slight continuous clicking sound.
    Last edited by Dan L; 08-15-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: typos
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    When I changed the W&B in my Excel file it was nice to see the battery weight go from 11 pounds to 1.8. This battery makes a noise too when the master is turned on. I can hear a slight continuous clicking sound.
    Dan, which battery are you using now?

Thanks,
    Tony

Dan:
    Not sure how many hours probably around 20 or 30 it was in the plane 6 months. But in there defense I used the wrong charger I am learning about these batteries. I just bought an Aerovoltz and so far its working great I also bought there charger.
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Dan, which battery are you using now?

Thanks,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

It is a Adventure Power APP14A1-BS12

Dan

Well I've got about 12 hours on this battery now and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. It seems to work best if a load is put on the battery for up to a minute before trying to start the engine. Doing so seems to strengthen the battery. I've had half a dozen or so starts where the battery would slowly crank over the engine but not start it. This has happened with both cold and hot starts. If I turn on the landing light or struggle to start it a time or two more the battery then suddenly seems to come to life and spin it over quickly. But sometimes it has a lot of kick to it the first time.

DSCN2328.jpg

I camped a night at a fairly high elevation strip in British Columbia last weekend and had frost in the morning. This start was a struggle. I made some off-airport landings later in the morning and was reluctant to shut it down a couple of times because I was afraid I might have starting trouble and I was in some poor places to get help if I needed it. That said I was always able to get it started but I wonder about 6 months from now when the battery isn't so fresh? Time will tell.

My experience so far has been that the Power Sonic is the best for reliability.

DSCN2339.jpg

I don't want trouble in a place like this. I didn't shut it down here for that reason.