Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Just saw this pointed out by a racer buddy of mine:

http://www.motydesign.com/12cell_prod.php

Lithium based battery that is supposedly safe, lots of amps, and uber light. I don't know any more about it than what's on that page, but it's intriguing.
    Indeed! 340! Amps for 10 seconds. Wow. I watched the video - battery didn't seem to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by 8zq View Post
    Gary, I'll get a 240 CCA Yuasa and try it out. Can't hurt. May help. I do know that hitting that little battery as hard as we do every start does not prolong its service life. I'll post what I learn. John
    Hi John, How has the 240 CCA Yausa ( thast rated at 20 more CCA than what I have found) worked for you now that you have had some time on it?? The key is how does it crank when the engine is hot and one needs a quick restart on a hot motor. I have now had to wait 15 plus minutes a few times for the engine to cool down when I simply could not restart which for a seaplane operation is a bit tricky. I was at Sun & Fun last Friday looking at the Lithium batts offered through Wicks but like the threads have stated will probably wait a bit before going there. Any feedback on the Yuasa as they are definately good batterieswould be helpful. Best Gary

Gary,
    I can report that the Yuasa does not spin the CC340 like a top, but it is noticably better than our stock battery. We do not have hot starting problems with the Yuasa, but we did not have the problems that you report when we were using the stock battery either. The Yuasa was $89 delivered, so I'd recommend giving it a try. By the way, one of the Yuasa specs on the battery reports its CCA at 260.
    John
    Ben Hodges
    California Cubs
    www.californiacubs.com

the non-certified version: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm

Impressive numbers.

The Odyssey SBSJ-16 Battery FAA-PMA certified sealed aircraft battery is for Piper models PA18 and PA19 aircraft. It can be used on other makes of aircraft, but will require local FAA field approval certification

The ODYSSEY™ battery ingeniously uses absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology to offer, in one box, the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power – it is almost as if a champion long distance runner and a world class sprinter are one and the same person.

These batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses in excess of 2250A for 5 seconds as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge (DOD). A typical starting, lighting and ignition (SLI) battery can do one or the other, but not both. It is either a sprinter or a long distance runner; ODYSSEY batteries will do both – provide short duration high amperage pulse or low rate long duration drains.

Superior Cranking and Fast Charge Capability
    The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as -40°C (-40°F). Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of fast charge recovery.

Mounting Flexibility
    The ODYSSEY battery may be installed in any orientation (except inverted) without sacrificing any performance attributes. There is no fear of any acid spillage as ODYSSEY batteries recycle the internal gas during operation or charging. The valve regulated design of the ODYSSEY battery eliminates the need for an acid vent tube; eliminating the fear of acid burns or damage to expensive chrome or paint.

Superior Vibration Resistance
    ODYSSEY batteries are of military grade technology and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    the non-certified version: http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm

Impressive numbers.

The Odyssey SBSJ-16 Battery FAA-PMA certified sealed aircraft battery is for Piper models PA18 and PA19 aircraft. It can be used on other makes of aircraft, but will require local FAA field approval certification

The ODYSSEY™ battery ingeniously uses absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology to offer, in one box, the characteristics of two separate batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide enormous cranking power – it is almost as if a champion long distance runner and a world class sprinter are one and the same person.

These batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses in excess of 2250A for 5 seconds as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 80% depth of discharge (DOD). A typical starting, lighting and ignition (SLI) battery can do one or the other, but not both. It is either a sprinter or a long distance runner; ODYSSEY batteries will do both – provide short duration high amperage pulse or low rate long duration drains.

Superior Cranking and Fast Charge Capability
    The 5 second cranking power of ODYSSEY batteries is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even when the temperature is as low as -40°C (-40°F). Also, with simple constant voltage charging (alternator or independent charger), there is no limitation on the inrush current, so the user is assured of fast charge recovery.

Mounting Flexibility
    The ODYSSEY battery may be installed in any orientation (except inverted) without sacrificing any performance attributes. There is no fear of any acid spillage as ODYSSEY batteries recycle the internal gas during operation or charging. The valve regulated design of the ODYSSEY battery eliminates the need for an acid vent tube; eliminating the fear of acid burns or damage to expensive chrome or paint.

Superior Vibration Resistance
    ODYSSEY batteries are of military grade technology and have endured rigorous tests that demonstrate their overall ruggedness and exceptional tolerance of mechanical abuse.

Sorry but looked at the Odyssey and dimensions too large to fit. Also heavier which would be ok if it worked. Best Gary

OK all I have installed and run the Yausa which will be my third battery test ( the original Powersports 200 CCA, the Extreme 220 CCA and the Yuasa 240 CCA ) and here is my PIREP:
    Power Sports worked reasonably weel for 3 months then died off stranding me several times on hot starts so I quickly replaced it with an Extreme X-2 which worked very well for about 3 months. Now

Yuasa YTX14-BS Rated at 240 CCA
    VS
    Extreme X2-14 Rated at 220 CCA

Both seem identical in power as to cold sarts and hot starts and I still encounter a tough spot on the comression stroke to overcome on a cold sart but usually is easily manageable. On a hot start where the temp is at 180 degress, if I do not allow at least 10 min cooling, I can get to where the engine simply will not get past that compression hump. As long as I wait tilll it cools a bit, the engine will start although as mentioned for seaplane ops that can be a thrill having to wait.
    The Extreme Battery construction apears better and the terminal design and hardware are much better than the Yuasa.
    I guess I will await the verdict on the Lithium Batteries which I see offer 300 CCA. But not ready to try them till some more testing occurs. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    OK all I have installed and run the Yausa which will be my third battery test ( the original Powersports 200 CCA, the Extreme 220 CCA and the Yuasa 240 CCA ) and here is my PIREP:
    Power Sports worked reasonably weel for 3 months then died off stranding me several times on hot starts so I quickly replaced it with an Extreme X-2 which worked very well for about 3 months. Now

Yuasa YTX14-BS Rated at 240 CCA
    VS

Both seem identical in power as to cold sarts and hot starts and I still encounter a tough spot on the comression stroke to overcome on a cold sart but usually is easily manageable. On a hot start where the temp is at 180 degress, if I do not allow at least 10 min cooling, I can get to where the engine simply will not get past that compression hump. As long as I wait tilll it cools a bit, the engine will start although as mentioned for seaplane ops that can be a thrill having to wait.
    The Extreme Battery construction apears better and the terminal design and hardware are much better than the Yuasa.
    I guess I will await the verdict on the Lithium Batteries which I see offer 300 CCA. But not ready to try them till some more testing occurs. Best Gary

OK Here is the latest update on the battery tests:

After about 2 weeks of using the YUASA I have gone back to the
    and definately cranks better that the YUASA. Until the Lythium battery is approved seems the
    is thus far the best cranker. Regards Gary

Wick's has a lithium battery (4.45in x 3.43in x 3.94in) - claims 360A CCA for $172.50.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...699/index.html

and only weighs 2lb 5oz.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Wick's has a lithium battery (4.45in x 3.43in x 3.94in) - claims 360A CCA for $172.50.

http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog...699/index.html

and only weighs 2lb 5oz.

Tony
    Tony

We are looking into the Lithium/Iron battery by Shori. It has about the same weight as the Wick's battery, and we are currently testing it. It looks promising. If you are looking for lithium batteries, make sure they are lithium/iron. These batteries are a lot more stable than other lithium batteries.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Tony

If you are looking for lithium batteries, make sure they are lithium/iron.

Mitch
    Not to be confused with lithium ION....

Pete D.