Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

I plug a Sears Battery tender into my cigarette lighter whenever I park my plane in my hangar. I have never had any battery issues. This inexpensive device can be purchased from any Sears store and can also be used to prevent battery drain while playing with your glass panels while the motor is not running.

Here is a link to the device:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...4&blockType=L4

Sears Exclusive. | Sears Item# 02871219000 | Model# 71219

Product Description

Charge your battery from inside the vehicle! Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer with Float Mode Monitoring for 6 and 12 volt batteries. 2 Amp, 12 Volt/4 Amp, 6 Volt slow charge with Reverse Hook-Up Protection is ideal for keeping stored, lead-acid batteries charged and power maintained at all times. Great for Motorcycle, Lawn Tractor, ATV, Snowmobile size batteries and to maintain larger Car, RV, Boat, Deep Cycle, Antique and Classic Car batteries too! Includes: 50 amp battery clamps, 12V accessory plug and permanent ring connectors for fast, easy charging every time. UL listed.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    So far it has not failed to start except once when I killed the battery by leaving the master switch on while I was downloading a new set of software for my Garmin G3X.
    Bill
    Off topic, but how would you rate the G3X?

Ok
    You guys convinced me to buy a new X-2 battery for my airplane.
    I installed it after a charge and guess what ---- The engine "hesitates" on starting just like before on the OEM battery.
    I can't see any difference at all.
    I get the same low battery warning on the Dynon as before on every start
    I must have done somthing wrong!

As a side note the battery screws on the old battery did not have lock washers but were really tight.

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    Ok
    You guys convinced me to buy a new X-2 battery for my airplane.
    I installed it after a charge and guess what ---- The engine "hesitates" on starting just like before on the OEM battery.
    I can't see any difference at all.
    I get the same low battery warning on the Dynon as before on every start
    I must have done somthing wrong!

As a side note the battery screws on the old battery did not have lock washers but were really tight.
    Well at least you have new lock washers. My airplane has a more "spirited" start with the new battery. It will still hesitate once and a while on the compression stroke. Worth the difference? I don't know.

On the advice of Klaus Savier at LightSpeed Engineering I just installed a set of Denso IK27 Iridium Spark Plugs. Will let you know if I see any difference. At least they are lighter.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Hi Guys, Am sure its not anything you did incorrectly . I have over 300 hours on my engine and was experiencing not just hesitation but rather the cranking would stop on the compression stroke when hot from time to time. When I replaced it with the X2 no more hot start cranking stoppage AND as Bob says its sure helps with the hesitation but can't say the hesitation completely goes away rather I do notice it gets past that hesitation better. I leave the low battery warning issue up to the guys who have dynon if that is a hint of anything else. Hope that Helps regards Gary

Here's a data point from a recently delivered Carbon Cub (144):

I've done a fair number of starts (due to being a very poor tailwheel student), both cold and hot. I've experienced no problems and noticed no significant hesitation on the first compression stroke. It is, of course, a new battery.

I admit I have not inspected the battery to determine if it's the same model as in earlier production aircraft - I'll do that this afternoon. I believe it is.

As the temperatures are now falling, I'll report if there are any changes when it's colder.
    Glenn Peterson, N144LP, Red / Grey

Thumbs up Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

I just ran across this and since Jim et al are always looking for ways to shed weight, I thought I would pass it on...

Price : $300
    Brief Description: lose the unneeded weight by switching to a lithium starting battery. This means extra payload or fuel or simply better acceleration and earlier lift off
    Ad Details: Lithium batteries are a NO maintenance battery, around 2 lbs, sealed dry cell with no electrolyte to mess with. Life cycles 10 years, and more power than an equivalent lead acid battery. These are a must have item for rotary wing and experimental aircraft where every lb is valuable.
    Contact Info: Andy wright
    United States
    Tallahassee, Florida

Need more info where can we see it?
    Thanks
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Need more info where can we see it?
    Thanks
    EV
    Perhaps if you contact ANDY WRIGHT he can direct you.

United States
    Tallahassee, Florida
    850 665 2383

Quote Originally Posted by synergy46 View Post
    Perhaps if you contact ANDY WRIGHT he can direct you.

United States
    Tallahassee, Florida
    850 665 2383

Based on the Concord Battery website, I am not sure that lithium batteries are quite ready for widespread aircraft application. Remember we are literally sitting on this battery in the Carbon Cub.

Limitations:
    • Requires protection circuit to maintain voltage and current within safe limits. Protection circuitry involves both additional hardware and software.
    • On aircraft battery monitoring and alarms will be required for safe operation.
    • Subject to aging, even if not in use - storage in a cool place at 40% charge reduces the aging effect.
    • Transportation restrictions - shipment of larger batteries may be subject to regulatory control.
    • Expensive to manufacture - about 40 percent higher in cost than nickel-cadmium.
    • Not a fully mature chemistry - metals and chemicals are changing on a continuing basis.
    • Extremely flammable electrolyte.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 10-25-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA