Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Our standard battery is a sealed lead acid unit normally used for motorcycles and personal watercraft. As Bob points out it was selected for its light weight yet still reasonable capacity. No question there is no surplus of power there however. Unfortunately we can't seem to find an AGM/RG battery (such as an Odyssey) in the same size otherwise that might make a good upgrade.

Personally, I'd replace the battery in my Carbon Cub every other year during the annual just as a proactive preventative measure as batteries do degrade over time. Also, though I can't/won't announce anything at this time, we have several electrical system tweaks in development.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Personally, I'd replace the battery in my Carbon Cub every other year during the annual just as a proactive preventative measure as batteries do degrade over time. Also, though I can't/won't announce anything at this time, we have several electrical system tweaks in development.
    Like a Vertical Power electronic circuit breaker on a duel bus? (Those VP red boxes were sticking out from under the panel in a photo I saw here or in a magazine.) That's a fantastic tweak! - are electric flaps soon to follow?
    Last edited by RanRan; 08-30-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan View Post
    Like a Vertical Power electronic circuit breaker on a duel bus? (Those VP red boxes were sticking out from under the panel in a photo I saw here or in a magazine.) That's a fantastic tweak! - are electric flaps soon to follow?
    Remember, weight is the enemy!
    Randy Lervold

Hi all back with a solution! Our stock battery (or at least the one that came in my Carbon Cub is a Power Sonic PTX14-BS-FS rated at CCA 200. Its causing that hesitation I discussed below and once when really hot would not turn the 340 over till I let it cool down. I tried the Odyssey route and "forget about it" as the dimensions will not fit and I am told that they need a constant charge rate of 14.25-14.5 volts volts and our alternators are not set that high. Sooooooooooo I found an Xtreme X2-14 exact same dimensions and rated at 220 CCA and installed it today and problems GONE! It cranks without hesitation hot or cold and has a 2 year warranty. Quality construction is much better like the pre drilled posts etc. and while I did not weigh it it feels about the same as the stock battery and its AGM. Its a bit more at $94 but it works! Best Gary

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...Lightning.aspx

Note the ads say 200CCA but the newer version of the battery is 220CCA and is labeled as such
    Last edited by glickle; 08-30-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi all back with a solution! Our stock battery (or at least the one that came in my Carbon Cub is a Power Sonic PTX14-BS-FS rated at CCA 200. Its causing that hesitation I discussed below and once when really hot would not turn the 340 over till I let it cool down. I tried the Odyssey route and "forget about it" as the dimensions will not fit and I am told that they need a constant charge rate of 14.25-14.5 volts volts and our alternators are not set that high. Sooooooooooo I found an Xtreme X2-14 exact same dimensions and rated at 220 CCA and installed it today and problems GONE! It cranks without hesitation hot or cold and has a 2 year warranty. Quality construction is much better like the pre drilled posts etc. and while I did not weigh it it feels about the same as the stock battery and its AGM. Its a bit more at $94 but it works! Best Gary

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...Lightning.aspx

Note the ads say 200CCA but the newer version of the battery is 220CCA and is labeled as such
    Great find. Just ordered one.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

This new battery (on the left image below) cranks the engine with more vigor than the one that came with my CC.

Safety Alert: May be just my airplane but when I removed the original battery there were no lock washers on the battery lugs. Based on wiring diagrams both electronic ignition modules are tied right to the lugs of the battery. Should a lug become disconnected the alternator will continue to serve the electrical system but the ignition and the motor will fail.

New battery came with lock washers.

The lack of lock washers is a serious problem. I need to inspect right away.
    What kind did you use or what came with the new battery? Internal tooth?
    I think that lock washers and maybe thread locker should be used.
    I wonder if thread locker will cause a high resistance contact at the battery terminals??

Could it be that your new battery is just "new" and that accounts for the increased starting capability?
    Batteries fail over time as their plates become sulfated and that may be true in your case.
    Our aircraft uses a 200 CCA motorcycle/ATV battery to start a 340 cubic inch engine.
    How many motorcycle engines are that large? The battery is marginal at best.
    I know that engine size is not the only factor but it is important.

My airplane has "hesitated" upon starting since new.
    So far it has not failed to start except once when I killed the battery by leaving the master switch on while I was downloading a new set of software for my Garmin G3X.
    I pluged a jumper into the aircraft accessory receptacle from the receptacle in my car and in about 30 minutes the engine started.
    Note: I would not try a start with that jumper. The receptacle in the airplane is not designed for that kind of current.

By the way, I tried a prop start, just to see if I could, and the engine started on the first blade.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    The lack of lock washers is a serious problem. I need to inspect right away.
    What kind did you use or what came with the new battery? Internal tooth?
    I think that lock washers and maybe thread locker should be used.
    I wonder if thread locker will cause a high resistance contact at the battery terminals??
    Internal thread lock washers came with the new battery.

My airplane was new in April. Battery performance has been the same since new. New battery definitely cranks better. No real hesitation on starting just a slowing of the prop as it hits compression.

My lugs were nice and tight when I removed old battery without lock washers. But given the critical nature of the electronic ignition wiring the lug bolts should be protected with lock washers.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    RanRan, Our factory battery that comes with the plane are 200 CCA and most all 14-BS sized batterys I find are max 200 CCA so its the 5 seconds of alleged 545CCAs in the Odyseey that I am wondering about. Best Gary
    CCA is the standards test at 0 degree Fahrenheit for 30 seconds. Averaged out. It's relatively easy to design a battery with an impressive 5 second spurt - but what is left at 25 seconds?

A lithium battery for aircraft seems destined to happen. Smaller, lighter, with more kick.

Here is another possible. Also 220 CCA.
    http://ebatteriestogo.com/merchant2/...uct_Code=SVR14