Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    Batteries Plus seems to keep changing the names, but mine is a 220 CCA X2 Power X2-14. It fits the original small battery box. Best of luck.

Carl
    I just took this X2-14 out of Plane that I installed on 3/9/14 was working well but wanted a little more.
    Ordered an Earth X,(Cubdriver2 recommended) ETX36C, Fits well. It is a little shorter. Added padding underneath that was supplied with battery.
    This Battery starts the Plane the best out of all the batteries I have tried. ( I have the old starter)
    I think I have found my Battery.($349.00)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I would recommend NOT "bumping" the starter on a Carbon Cub. It is a good technique to have in your toolbox when working with magnetos but with the electronic ignition can cause a kickback that could break the starter, ring gear or both. When the crankshaft rotates back and forth it may pick up the magnets out of sequence and fire mis-timed.

The Lightspeed ignition knows timing and RPM by magnets on the back of the flywheel. If the magnets pass by the sensors out of sequence such as when the prop reverses direction I have seen several airplanes kick back and break starters or ring gears.
    Does the term "bumping" mean timing multiple ignition key turns to get the propeller to turn over and get a start?

My "new-to-me" 2010 Carbon Cub suffers form the same starting performance issues that many have posted here and this technique is the only way I can get it to start. Older starter, smaller X2-14 220 CCA battery.

Probably gonna go with the EarthX ETX36C next.

I ordered the ETX36C today from an Amazon reseller, will report how it works.
    N80DB #119 E-LSA / G3X Touch

Quote Originally Posted by marcusadolfsson View Post
    I ordered the ETX36C today from an Amazon reseller, will report how it works.
    I had to take the earth-X out of plane. would not start it in winter. Told company and they said it must be bad, I don't think so. they sent me a new one haven't tried it yet. X2-14 Still the one I use.

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Does the term "bumping" mean timing multiple ignition key turns to get the propeller to turn over and get a start?

My "new-to-me" 2010 Carbon Cub suffers form the same starting performance issues that many have posted here and this technique is the only way I can get it to start. Older starter, smaller X2-14 220 CCA battery.

Probably gonna go with the EarthX ETX36C next.
    That is precisely what that means. At some point the prop swinging back and forth as you do that will cause a kick back that will break the starter and/or the ring gear. The electronic ignition senses crankshaft position and timing using sensors on the case and magnets in the flywheel. Bumping it can give bad info to the electronic box.

New Hartzell starter and the current production lead acid battery will fix it, as well as make sure the grounds are good on the air frame.
    Last edited by Pete D; 04-21-2015 at 08:03 AM.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    That is precisely what that means. At some point the prop swinging back and forth as you do that will cause a kick back that will break the starter and/or the ring gear. The electronic ignition senses crankshaft position and timing using sensors on the case and magnets in the flywheel. Bumping it can give bad info to the electronic box.

New Hartzell starter and the current production lead acid battery will fix it, as well as make sure the grounds are good on the air frame.

Thanks Pete! You, Randy and others are such great resources to have on this site.

Gonna drop a new X2-14 in it today while I wait for the EarthX ETX36C to show up. Hopefully that works for the short term and I haven't done any damage to the starter or ring gear already. I imagine I'd know it if I did...

Longer term solution very well may be the new starter, which sounds like it works well with just about any battery. Just not ready to drop the $$$ for the cowling.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Thanks Pete! You, Randy and others are such great resources to have on this site.

Gonna drop a new X2-14 in it today while I wait for the EarthX ETX36C to show up. Hopefully that works for the short term and I haven't done any damage to the starter or ring gear already. I imagine I'd know it if I did...

Longer term solution very well may be the new starter, which sounds like it works well with just about any battery. Just not ready to drop the $$$ for the cowling.

Andrew
    Somebody out there makes a small carbon fiber blister for the new starter. It gets cut into your old cowl.

BTW looks like EarthX has embraced the experimental aviation community. They had a booth at Sun N Fun and are sponsors over at vansairforce.com.

Here is a long thread (33 pages) where members discuss LiFePo batteries: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=77016

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    Somebody out there makes a small carbon fiber blister for the new starter. It gets cut into your old cowl.
    SWT Aviation has an inventory of 4 of those cowl blisters if anyone needs one. Price on request. ;-)
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Here is a picture of 36C fitting the original battery box perfectly.

IMG_1571.jpg

I added some of the included padding to the battery so the seat keeps it pushed down.

IMG_1573.jpg