Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

My Aerolithium battery was installed in serial #175 on 4/17/13. It was described as Aerolithium 12.8 volt, 12 AH, 1000A PCA LiFePO4 Andy Start .
    The battery has worked out very well. 175 has the old starter. After a slight slowdown on the first compression, it spins the engine rapidly. I fly skis in the winter, although I preheat the engine.
    I have equalized the battery a couple of times. Each time the cells were very close to equal when the process began.
    Jake

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I'm still a bit confused about the batteries. I understand that the new starter as reduced the need for the bigger battery, my question is: with the smaller starter, what would be a good cold and hot cranking amp spec for the CC340.

I used a Lithium Aviation battery (550CA) in my UL 350 (130hp) and it worked very well in that engine. I was taking to Andy(Lithium Aviaton) yesterday and he says there is a Carbon Cub in NZ using his 800CA battery with really good results. If the NZ pilot is on the forum it would be nice to get a report from him on the Lithium Aviation battery.

If you look up past posts about the best battery there is plenty of info to sink your teeth into regarding lead acid vs LIFO. I owned an earlier CC and had the starting issues with the old Skytech starter which were resolved by the " Andy" LIFO battery. I also tried the other manufacturers of LIFO batteries which were too weak. Bottom line is that for me the " Andy" batteries work. (I still have two, one at 800CCA and one newer improved one at 1000CCA) and both still work great. That said I have the new #246 CC with the newer hartzel starter and the original lead acid battery works just fine ( I use the X2 Extreme from Batteries plus you can get anywhere) so I keep the " Andy " battery in the back of the plane as a spare. I had occasion to use the spare " Andy" battery last month after a very cold thick oil start that drained my lead acid and after over a year of storage without recharging the " Andy ' battery kicked it right over. Also be sure to look back and research the differences between Lithium ION vs Lithium Iron ( the newer and claimed safer technology) batteries as I see many getting those two getting confused. Best Gary

Thanks Gary, I did recently have some conversation with Andy and the new blue batteries that are shown below now have 16AH internal cells compared to the previous with 10AH.
    According to Andy the differences between his cells and others are that they are sealed inside an aluminum can with an overheat/pressure relief valve. These cells are studded so assembly is a simple nut and copper link bar instead of using spot welded or soldered motorcycle cells which in time can fail due to vibration. Motorcycle cells are either 26650 or flat pouch mylar type and just are not made to endure high discharge use over long time periods. That is why they are cheaper, as is indicated by the phony advertised "lead acid equivalent Ah" number and inflated CA # which is use to 'out do' their Motorcycle Li battery competition.
    Andy also backs up his battery's with a 1 yr 100% warranty (as long as they are not drained to zero/near zero or if an incorrect charger was used) and lifetime customer service and battery credit after purchase. He also includes a balancing circuit board to help maintain the cells balance as well. Andy says he's in this for the long run and word of mouth reputation is important.
    I definitely agree with you Gary, Andy has the best Lithium battery for aircraft out there.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I'm still a bit confused about the batteries. I understand that the new starter as reduced the need for the bigger battery, my question is: with the smaller starter, what would be a good cold and hot cranking amp spec for the CC340.

I used a Lithium Aviation battery (550CA) in my UL 350 (130hp) and it worked very well in that engine. I was taking to Andy(Lithium Aviaton) yesterday and he says there is a Carbon Cub in NZ using his 800CA battery with really good results. If the NZ pilot is on the forum it would be nice to get a report from him on the Lithium Aviation battery.
    Im the guy in New Zealand that is using Andy's new 800 CA battery and it is by far the best battery I have used in the Carbon Cub to date. Absolutely no issues starting, hot or cold since I have been using it.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
    Andy at Aerolithium reckons that he will have the new batteries ready in about 3 weeks. I've attached the pic he sent me, altogether a better look than the original I have.
    WOW Just got quote $ 600.00 Plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    If you look up past posts about the best battery there is plenty of info to sink your teeth into regarding lead acid vs LIFO. I owned an earlier CC and had the starting issues with the old Skytech starter which were resolved by the " Andy" LIFO battery. I also tried the other manufacturers of LIFO batteries which were too weak. Bottom line is that for me the " Andy" batteries work. (I still have two, one at 800CCA and one newer improved one at 1000CCA) and both still work great. That said I have the new #246 CC with the newer hartzel starter and the original lead acid battery works just fine ( I use the X2 Extreme from Batteries plus you can get anywhere) so I keep the " Andy " battery in the back of the plane as a spare. I had occasion to use the spare " Andy" battery last month after a very cold thick oil start that drained my lead acid and after over a year of storage without recharging the " Andy ' battery kicked it right over. Also be sure to look back and research the differences between Lithium ION vs Lithium Iron ( the newer and claimed safer technology) batteries as I see many getting those two getting confused. Best Gary
    I continue to get outstanding results from the same battery Gary uses (batteries plus X2 extreme). The original battery in the CC (not an X2) did suffer a catastrophic failure, refusing to move the prop at all. That experience prompted me to carry a spare as well. I carry the Micro start XP1, which weighs less than a pound and includes a carrying case. You can also get an accessory connection cable which you can wire to the ships battery. I haven't had to use it, but reports are very positive. There are two reasons you need their cable-it's an oddball connector and the cable has diodes to prevent back charging. Here's where you can get it. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    I continue to get outstanding results from the same battery Gary uses (batteries plus X2 extreme). The original battery in the CC (not an X2) did suffer a catastrophic failure, refusing to move the prop at all. That experience prompted me to carry a spare as well. I carry the Micro start XP1, which weighs less than a pound and includes a carrying case. You can also get an accessory connection cable which you can wire to the ships battery. I haven't had to use it, but reports are very positive. There are two reasons you need their cable-it's an oddball connector and the cable has diodes to prevent back charging. Here's where you can get it. http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

Do you guys have a part number for the batteries plus X2 extreme that you use? I am finding it impossible to find out which battery it is by looking online.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubrath View Post
    Do you guys have a part number for the batteries plus X2 extreme that you use? I am finding it impossible to find out which battery it is by looking online.
    Batteries Plus seems to keep changing the names, but mine is a 220 CCA X2 Power X2-14. It fits the original small battery box. Best of luck.

Carl

You fellow pilots talking about batteries should list the weight of the battery you are talking about. It would be much more helpful to us that are reading your posts. Thanks!
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by cubber View Post
    You fellow pilots talking about batteries should list the weight of the battery you are talking about. It would be much more helpful to us that are reading your posts. Thanks!
    Kurt
    The 800mh AeroLithium battery weighs in at 7 lbs according to Andy.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA