Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Any pics of the Aero Lithium 1000 CCA installed? I have a 2010 with the original box. How is the fitment? Is there room for two? At that weight, it seems like cheap insurance.
    Hi Fresno

Sorry no pictures and I'm a long way from the plane at the moment.

The battery fits with space to spare which requires packing to hold it in position and prevent pressure on the circuit board. The height is exactly right for the cable connections.

No, you could absolutely not get two in. I am keeping the Shorai in a box in the back in case of need.

Does anyone know if Aero Lithium is still in business? Called the phone number on their web site and it comes up as disconnected? tel:850-745-0796

I spent well over a month trying to get in touch with Aerolithium on behalf of a customer; spoke with Andy's "other half"; she said he was in China. Talked to a couple of his "dealers" who also couldn't get in touch with him.

Finally, I spent a lot of time on the phone with Brian Harris of Moty Design (www.motydesign.com). Brian is extremely knowledgeable about Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo) batteries. He can be reached via e-mail at bharris@motydesign.com Or call 928-607-2269.

As a result of my investigation, I purchased one of his batteries for my customer's airplane, and it seems to be working very well. I suggest you give Brian a call as an alternative source for this technology.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thanks Chip, I'll give them a call. Not a good sign for AeroLithium.

Especially not a good sign for Aerolithium when I have a customer in Florida who thinks it's the greatest battery every built!! <grin> I was really looking forward to trying another one.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

I have also been trying to get a battery from Andy. I spoke with him just before Sun & Fun and he said he would contact me after Sun & Fun. I have sent him many e-mails. No Andy!

Hi all, Yes Andy seems to be MIA. As you know I was a big fan of his batteries and still am ( Mine still works but am using it as a back up just in case as I do alot of off airport work, but per Chip and the rest he has been unrsponsive so time to move on. Seems like Chip has found a alternative source. I can also report that after 160 hrs with the new Hartzell starter I am not experiencing any start problems using the original factory supplied Power Sports battery. Stay tuned as I look forward to a PIREP after a 1 year anniversay of using it but thus far the starting problem seems to be resoved on the new planes. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi all, Yes Andy seems to be MIA. As you know I was a big fan of his batteries and still am ( Mine still works but am using it as a back up just in case as I do alot of off airport work, but per Chip and the rest he has been unrsponsive so time to move on. Seems like Chip has found a alternative source. I can also report that after 160 hrs with the new Hartzell starter I am not experiencing any start problems using the original factory supplied Power Sports battery. Stay tuned as I look forward to a PIREP after a 1 year anniversay of using it but thus far the starting problem seems to be resoved on the new planes. Best Gary

Glad to hear this Gary, we worked hard to find a solution that didn't put our customers in the position of testing unknown technology.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi all, Yes Andy seems to be MIA. As you know I was a big fan of his batteries and still am
    I just got a note from Andy as follows:

"I am operating on a limited basis right now not taking phone calls and am currently out of batteries.
    I am making the next lighter more powerful version now and will take about 2 months.
    Please report this on the forum please
    Thank you"

Mine is still in regular use (60 hours or so now) and starts pretty much first time every time.

I have been running an Aerolithium 1000 AH battery for about five months. It has been a strong performer until yesterday, when I attempted to start 16JH and the prop would not turn over. I finally got it to go through one blade, and that was enough to start the engine. I assumed the battery was just low (although I had flown less than a week ago and done a balance charge within the last three weeks), flew for about an hour, put the aircraft away and checked the battery with the gadget that allows you to see the voltage on each cell. One cell showed less than one volt - essentially dead. So my battery is toast. I then discovered what has been reported here - the phones have been disconnected and Andy appears to be MIA - and I think I'm left holding the bag on a very expensive bad battery.

The reason for this post is to alert Aerolithium customers to the possibility of a dead cell in the battery bank after very little use. After landing and discovering the dead cell, I wondered if there is a risk in charging a lithium battery with a dead cell. Since we all fly around with batteries under our butts, and lithium batteries are known to be cantankerous, it's a question I wish I knew the answer to. Anyone out there in CC land with thoughts on whether there is risk in charging a lithium battery with a dead cell? If so, maybe those with lithium batteries should put a voltage check on each cell as part of the preflight. Jim

Update as of 8/7. While the phones for Aerolithium are not working, Andy has replied to an email I sent and has asked that I send my battery back to him for replacement. Also says he will have new batteries available for sale in several weeks. So if need be, you can contact him at sales@aerolithium.com.
    Last edited by James B (Jim) Hawkes; 08-07-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Update on product availability and service
    Jim Hawkes