Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Default Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

As best as I can tell none of the available batteries have built in automatic balancing circuits.

Aero Lithium does offer built in connections for it's balancing charger at extra cost.
    They recommend that the battery be balanced every few months with their optional charger.
    You should read the presentation from Oshkosh on the Aero Lithium website.

I just replaced my almost dead battery with a new X2 lead acid because I want to wait for a short time before being an early adopter of this technology.

I have been trying to find the source/brand of the batteries offered by Legend and Flight Design with no success.
    My intention is to replace my battery at annual in the spring with some brand of lithium iron.

I have no interest in any of the battery companies. I just want to start every time I turn the key.
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 12-21-2012 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    I understand Cubcrafters treading carefully into the world of Lithium Iron batteries and respect their judgment to make sure its right. That said as of Dec 3 when I sold my #107 CC my Lithium Iron battery made by Aerolithium was still going strong and works!! and all at 4lbs, which is over a 10 lb saving from the Odyssey which is a great bttery also. I have had it in the plane since April 2012 and it has over 150hrs and probably more than 250 starts cold and hot on it without a hickup.

I pick up my new CC #246 in January with the new starter,and larger battery box but it will have the standard Power Sports battery. I will advise what I learn and if the new Hartzell starter resolves the starting issues. As I recall in #107 it took a while for the starting issues to surface over time as the engine broke in and the battery got weaker so I may not have an immediate PIREP.
    I kept my Aerolithium Lithium IRON battery from #107 however, and repaced it with the X2 ( the strongest of the small lead acid) for the new owner after having a full discussion with him about the starting issues. I wanted the new owner to be satisfied with his own research and information about whether he is comfortable with the Lithuim Iron technolgy. Regards Gary

Merry Chistmas to all but hold the phone! I just recieved a Christmas present from Andy at AeroLithium to try. Its a 3.3 lb 1000CCA battery. Yes rated at 1000CCA Right size and right connectors, I will try it when I get back but should be a monster starter battery. Stay tuned . Construction also looks much better including a cushioned base and fully sealed with gel. And yes you do need a balancing charger for these batteries do NOT use a regular battery charger or jump it, doing so will ruin your cells. Regards Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 12-24-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Merry Chistmas to all but hold the phone! I just recieved a Christmas present from Andy at AeroLithium to try. Its a 3.3 lb 1000CCA battery. Yes rated at 1000CCA Right size and right connectors, I will try it when I get back but should be a monster starter battery. Stay tuned . Construction also looks much better including a cushioned base and fully sealed with gel. And yes you do need a balancing charger for these batteries do NOT use a regular battery charger or jump it, doing so will ruin your cells. Regards Gary
    Now that sounds like what we need!

Bill

Hi Gary,
    How is your New Batterry working?
    Joe

Hi Joe, Actually have not had a chance to try it as yet as my 2009 CC sold in two days and I am headed to Yakima to pick up my new 2013 CC tomorrow!!! Wil do another Cross Country back to Floorida starting Sunday. ( My old plane is loctaed 2 hangar doors down from me and the new owner is interested in trying the Lithium Iron 1000CCA also) First I plan to do a PIREP on the new starter since the 2013 plane is being delivered with the stock Power Sport battery we all had and initial reports are promising. When I get home to Florida I will also try the new 1000CCA Lithium battery on both the 2013 and the 2009 planes and let you all know what I think. Regards Gary

Hi Joe, Actually have not had a chance to try it as yet as my 2009 CC sold in two days and I am headed to Yakima to pick up my new 2013 CC tomorrow!!! Wil do another Cross Country back to Floorida starting Sunday. ( My old plane is loctaed 2 hangar doors down from me and the new owner is interested in trying the Lithium Iron 1000CCA also) First I plan to do a PIREP on the new starter since the 2013 plane is being delivered with the stock Power Sport battery we all had and initial reports are promising. When I get home to Florida I will also try the new 1000CCA Lithium battery on both the 2013 and the 2009 planes and let you all know what I think. Regards Gary
    Gary -

Please keep us posted on your selected route from Yakima. I pick up my new Carbon Cub on February 18!!, and will be flying it back to Maine.

All the best.

Jack

Gary, Have a safe and Enjoyable trip!

Smile Re: Best Battery for our Carbon Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
    Gary -

Please keep us posted on your selected route from Yakima. I pick up my new Carbon Cub on February 18!!, and will be flying it back to Maine.

All the best.

Jack
    Hi Jack,
    Your first Carbon Cub?
    If so you are going to LOVE it!
    You also Have a safe and Enjoyable trip.
    If you need anything on your way through sullivan county contact me.
    Hopefully we will also fly together when you get back.
    I do alot of flying in the upper northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph206 View Post
    Hi Jack,
    Your first Carbon Cub?
    If so you are going to LOVE it!
    You also Have a safe and Enjoyable trip.
    If you need anything on your way through sullivan county contact me.
    Hopefully we will also fly together when you get back.
    I do alot of flying in the upper northeast.

Joe -

It will be my first Carbon Cub, and I am very excited about it. My current plan it to fly the plane for about a year, then put floats on it. It does not get any better than a float plane in Maine in the summer.

The next time you are in Maine, stop by Belfast and say hello. Belfast is a great little airport with a good 4,000' paved runway, and a 2000' grass strip adjacent to it.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
    Joe -

It will be my first Carbon Cub, and I am very excited about it. My current plan it to fly the plane for about a year, then put floats on it. It does not get any better than a float plane in Maine in the summer.

The next time you are in Maine, stop by Belfast and say hello. Belfast is a great little airport with a good 4,000' paved runway, and a 2000' grass strip adjacent to it.

Jack
    Jack,
    Take the last Zero off of both runway lengths. That is all your going to need.