Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ignition Problems. Help??

Default Re: Ignition Problems. Help??

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Klaus replied that the A and B channels are independent because they need to fire 180 degrees out of phase with each other.
    Thx again Andy,

We ran a further test to check the function of the mini sensor. With a breakout chord connected between the input plug and the box we rotated the flywheel around and measured the voltage across the various parts of the plug. The lower sensor's A channel dropped from 5v to (virtually) zero at the appropriate time. The B channel's voltage didn't change throughout the entire rotational cycle.

We also checked the spark generated by the coils and when on the R side the appropriate coil did not fire either (which stands to reason).

Given that we had previously swapped the L box for the R box and the problem remained on the R side that really confirms an input (rather than output) problem and the above test would pretty much confirm a problem with the lower sensor B channel (sensor or wiring). Rather than spend many more dollars fault finding I've ordered a replacement sensor from Cub Crafters USD250.

I truly hope this solves the problem. I think it will but it has been a crafty gremlin so who knows..

Cheers,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by J12345T View Post
    The lower sensor's A channel dropped from 5v to (virtually) zero at the appropriate time. The B channel's voltage didn't change throughout the entire rotational cycle.
    Glad you have that test data. It seems conclusive to me.

In a follow up email Klaus re-stated what I thought I had read previously - "The sensors don't fail".

If the new sensor fixes the problem I hope the failed one will go back to LSE for analysis and that you'll get a report that you can share.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Glad you have that test data. It seems conclusive to me.

In a follow up email Klaus re-stated what I thought I had read previously - "The sensors don't fail".

If the new sensor fixes the problem I hope the failed one will go back to LSE for analysis and that you'll get a report that you can share.
    Hi Andy,

Yes, Klaus was very insistent that the sensors don't fail and given that he is the expert I don't know what to make of the evidence I have been seeing. Maybe it is the wiring to the sensor but that can't be field repaired as far as I can see so a new sensor it is...

I will certainly report the results when I get the parts (in a week or so) and get them fitted.

Cheers,

James.

P.S. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe one of the 4 magnets has lost it's magnetism??