Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers

Lightbulb Offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers

CubCrafters,

Please continue to expand the options for customers to choose such as landing gear options by TK1 racing. Tony has been outstanding to work with, I have great trust in this product used by many of those we see often sharing the backcountry experience. Please test as needed and allow TK1's as an option for purchase. Competition is good for the consumer.

https://store.tk1racing.com/

Default Re: Offer TK1 Shock Monsters as an option for customers

If you are building experimental, what does it matter? Buy them and put them on.

Now to offer TK1's on a certified aircraft is a different story and takes $$.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

CC won't install them for me as they haven't tested them. I have them with me and would prefer to be credited for unneeded bungees and have them install TK1's. I welcome them to use mine to test if desired. I'd also like to see Tony (TK1) have the option to supply CubCrafters if the customer chooses his product and spread the wealth and options.

Have you seen the extensive report published by john hodges on 12/26/17 under product reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Have you seen the extensive report published by john hodges on 12/26/17 under product reviews.
    I have seen it, all products involved have significantly changed now 4 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    That test was after multiple dealers (who fly off airport a lot)had been flying the shocks for a while and it was done by Tac Aero which at the time was working on some military stuff. They were going to put TKs on until they flew the acmes and immediately switched products. It’s a far superior product In my opinion. That blue super cub on TKs website runs Acmes on it now. Just look at the construction of the shocks in it self to me makes it a pretty easy choice. It looks like a pipe sliding inside another pipe with no bushing. There’s no way I’d put a set of shocks on my plane that I didn’t see a compression test done on. Which acme did for me because I wouldn’t try them. Getting CC to test them for approval was expensive and a lot of work. The dealers all pushed hard for it to be tested. To my knowledge none us run or would recommend TKs on a carbon cub,so I don’t think that’s gonna happen anytime soon. Since you really don’t have any experience with them it’s good you have confidence in them. There probably over 200 sets on CC and I can only think of of a few on TKs that haven’t switched over.
    What has significantly changed? I saw a new set at STOL contest at SNF, I didn’t see any obvious change to construction.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

The construction of the shocks does make it an easy choice, to me that choice is TK1 Shock Monsters. I've seen far too many fractures and failures of Acme Aero's that even if they were given to me I wouldn't use them, I don't trust them. For anyone using them I highly recommend inspecting the top mount area for fractures in the material. No matter which shock, I will use a safety cable, I bought the one for TK1's, it's cheap insurance.

I don't have any experience landing on TK1's, I trust in those I respect such as the Flying Cowboys that speak highly of Tony and the TK1's all of which use TK1's except for one that is now obviously sponsored by Acme Aero noted by the leading edge and has since changed to Acme's. I have little experience landing on Acme's and yes, they seemed fine, that's not the point, it's the trust and construction is where they lose me, not the performance of the shock itself. I've seen plenty of raving reviews of TK1's as well as Acme on SuperCub.org. Shock performance for both seems great, it comes down to which design do I trust the most which is how I concluded with my choice.

With all due respect anyone that financially benefits from the recommendation either through commission or sponsorship (noted by Acme Aero on their leading edge) is excluded from those I take opinions from other than my own salesman, Chip, who has been fair, balanced, and respectful whom I trust through our conversations. I welcome opinions of fellow pilots (non salesman) here or SuperCub.org but it's moot, I've made my decision based on my research and study of shock failures and also how the company handled those failures. The choice that I will trust is TK1 shock monsters. I have them in hand. the material and design is amazing. With that said, CubCrafters could offer both and let the customer choose the product they are comfortable with and want to spend their money on. The shock choice is a cult in this community for whatever reason and cannot seem to get a fair and balanced discussion most likely due to financial reasons underlying the discussions. That is MY opinion.

So rather this thread turn into a one vs. the other, I have simply asked that CubCrafters consider offering the competing product to allow the customer to choose the landing gear they prefer. I'm not asking for TSO certification, maybe TK1's could only be offered for non certified if it came to that and CubCrafters couldn't or wouldn't want to do the testing desired.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 02-01-2021 at 09:06 AM.

I would suggest anyone buying a Carbon cub. Talk to there dealers use there knowledge and customer experiences to make a good decision. What we do is try to put our customers in the best product available at the time, not because of a monetary value but for product satisfaction and safety. Your thought on my motive are way off.
    Best of luck with your new plane
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

It's likely to take sometime in your FX before you would be able to tell the difference between the two (TK & Acme) side by side. You made your choice others have made theirs. Advertise here for someone to loan you shocks until you get yours home. I put Acmes on mine during the build or I would loan you a set. Fly bungees and 6:00-6 tires for awhile, you will get where you want to be much quicker, just stay on your toes!
    Last edited by 40m; 02-01-2021 at 02:30 PM.

That's great advice. I flew with 8.50's for a year. That's what I knew. Now with BW's you can get away with a lot on bad landings. IMO, not the ideal tires to learn on. The 8.50's kept me honest. In a sense, I miss the 8.50's, I could land most places and I could really 'feel' the plane on landings and T/O's. But with the BW's, it's like a big mush burger.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 02-01-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL