Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forward looking camera for G3X

Question Forward looking camera for G3X

I learned of this from one of Trent Palmer's videos as I think he added the forward looking camera after encountering a prop strike. Obviously not for primary use but just something else for the cross check as the G3X offers the camera integration. In flying the FX-3 on 31's at TacAero training I could not see over the top so the camera would benefit my use as I'm getting 31's and just want the added safety. I got the two items below and I'm open to suggestions to anyone that has installed a forward looking camera integrated with the G3X and then where to mount the camera realizing the exhaust location. I would imagine just forward of the exhaust is about the only place that would probably work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H852D49/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK8IEI/

Default Re: Forward looking camera for G3X

9DB2D231-B39E-421F-B0EB-9C01C61B2475.jpg

For me that would seem like a distraction from looking outside. When I’m in places that are gnarly I need to be looking all around. And better yet, walk it first.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    9DB2D231-B39E-421F-B0EB-9C01C61B2475.jpg

For me that would seem like a distraction from looking outside. When I’m in places that are gnarly I need to be looking all around. And better yet, walk it first.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! I’ve never had the pleasure of walking one first but that’d be nice.
    That looks like a 84” prop on there👍
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Agreed. Enough is already going on without the distraction of trying to look at a screen.

Nice to walk it first if possible, but always go and walk it before takeoff. Might be surprised what you 'just missed' on landing.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 01-23-2021 at 10:50 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I learned of this from one of Trent Palmer's videos
    Well I was assuming this happened on one of his high risk off airport operations, but no, on a paved airport! Doesn't anyone S turn anymore?

Ha, figures!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well I was assuming this happened on one of his high risk off airport operations, but no, on a paved airport! Doesn't anyone S turn anymore?
    Wish I could find the YouTube video of the aerobatic airplane jamming on the brakes when they about rear ended the plane ahead of them on the taxiway and nosed over. It happens. I'm still intending to put this camera on someday as I think having the video in the periphery is a good thing. This reminds me of the days when A-10's got INS and the old schoolers were against it saying always use the map, INS is bad. Look where we are now.

This report doesn't have pictures but there were some published at the time.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...6FA206A&akey=1

I thought this aircraft would have benefited from a camera but the report indicates that shallow S turns would have been sufficient.

Let's see here: taxing WAY to fast, taking seatbelts off, not paying attention. Sounds like pilot error to me. Probably wouldn't be looking at a forward camera because he wasn't paying attention anyway.

Even with bush wheels, I think I have good visibility.

The pilot was not following good ground handling practices and screwed up. No camera would help that.

Nothing wrong with a camera. Like every new technology out there; understand it's limitations and benefits.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL