Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acme Black Ops 3 vs Pro vs TacAero shocks

Default Acme Black Ops 3 vs Pro vs TacAero shocks

Anyone with experience flying these various shocks.

CC is recommending Black Ops 3 over Pro as they say they are less soft and have a better ground handling.

Jeremy Young is recommending TacAero version of the Pro series as they have more travel length than the Black Ops and provide an extra degree of cushion in harsher conditions.

Need to make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Acme Black Ops 3 vs Pro vs TacAero shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post

CC is recommending Black Ops 3 over Pro as they say they are less soft and have a better ground handling.

Jeremy Young is recommending TacAero version of the Pro series as they have more travel length than the Black Ops and provide an extra degree of cushion in harsher conditions.

Need to make a decision.
    Get the standard bungee gear. When you have learned to land the airplane you can blow your money on something else. Where do you plan to land your $300k+ airplane that Super Cub pilots on standard gear wouldn't want to go?

I started with bungee gear. Then found some used AOSS. Then purchased some new Acme gen 3. Now flying a set of gen 4 pro on my 17 SS. The very best yet. I run 250 lbs pressure in the shock, on 31 bushwheels with the gen 4 You will soak up the rough stuff like you wont believe. Much easier on the airframe, in my opinion. But find out for yourself, the guys at Acme are awesome. Call up and talk to Matt or Chris, they will make you a believer. One plane at a time, they are changing the fleet. That said i am really interested in the Beringer suspension, and have followed TurboPilots story from the beginning, one of the best threads ever on Supercub.org is here

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...light=beringer

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post

Need to make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Take the deduct from the standard gear and apply it to the Acmes and don't look back! I have 3's and find for my application they are perfect, they even help my landings look as smooth as Scouter's.

Absolutely agree! Acme shocks are MILES difference from bungee and AOSS. I think they should have named them TALONS because once you hit the ground, they just grab hold and keep you there. Matt comes out of (and still in) the off-road and NASCAR racing industry...and all of us old racers know that suspension systems guys are doing “voodoo witchcraft” when it comes to what they can do.

If you are not running these, you are really missing out on making every landing a GREAT one. Hands down, the best of any of the ones I’ve used and great people to work with. NO COMPARISON to anything else....not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    I started with bungee gear. Then found some used AOSS. Then purchased some new Acme gen 3. Now flying a set of gen 4 pro on my 17 SS. The very best yet. I run 250 lbs pressure in the shock, on 31 bushwheels with the gen 4 You will soak up the rough stuff like you wont believe. Much easier on the airframe, in my opinion. But find out for yourself, the guys at Acme are awesome. Call up and talk to Matt or Chris, they will make you a believer. One plane at a time, they are changing the fleet. That said i am really interested in the Beringer suspension, and have followed TurboPilots story from the beginning, one of the best threads ever on Supercub.org is here

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...light=beringer

Jim
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, I’ve had hydrosorbs (bungees), AOSS and Acme Gen 3 shocks on my EX. I would not consider or ever recommend bungees. AOSS are many steps above bungees and Acme better yet. Your landings get smoother with each step up. And for guys like me that always brake with the tail up, they will get shorter too. The tires just stay stuck to the ground and braking is more effective.

I also had bungees and then AOSS on the PA-18 I had prior to building the EX.

This past fall I added a T3 too. I had the Pawnee spring. There’s no doubt the T3 is better.

B3177D4E-6F40-4357-BF60-CE5187C5BDC0.jpg
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I opted for and ordered TK1 Shock Monsters and T3 tailwheel. Realize neither CubCrafters nor TacAero are dealers for these (not sure about TacAero), they both sell Acme's so that's what their offering is.

I fly pros on all my planes. Acme gave me the first set for Valdez and been putting them on all my planes since. They are actually a little stiffer the the G3’s. Pro series have little more travel, they changed the spring rate and the Valving. The G3’s are a great shock and would recommend them to anyone, honestly most people would never know the difference. I’m not sure what Tac Aero is offering they may have had acme make them up something special for them. Jeremy is a very knowledgeable cub guy, so he’s definitely someone to pay attention too.
    I have flown all the shocks out there and acme hands down has the best product out there right now in my opinion. The bungees are terrible unless your gonna leave it in the hanger or land on smooth grass strips and they’ll still rattle your teeth. I flew a super cub with those air shocks and when I landed I actually thought It had bungees, told Jay he needed to go fly my plane and now he’s running acmes on it. He was one of those diehard air shock guys.
    Hopefully you’ll go enjoy your plane for what they where made for, not let it sit in the hanger and post some cool pictures for us to look at. Be nice to see more of that on here, cool pictures of people enjoying there airplanes.
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Springloaded; 01-13-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Not much of a challenge here for this Gen3 setup.
    Now Chuck this is Cool.IMG_6029.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    Not much of a challenge here for this Gen3 setup.
    Now Chuck this is Cool.IMG_6029.jpg
    Yep that’s a Cool pic and cold 🥶.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News