Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil change interval

Default Oil change interval

I have maintained a Lycoming O-360 for many years and I'm used to 50 hour oil change interval. Engines with a screen instead of a filter typically have 25 hour change.

The CCX-2000 maintenance manual template appears to have conflicting information on oil change interval:

MM rev NC oil change -1.PNG

AMM oil change -2.PNG

Would CubCrafters please confirm that 50 hours is the recommended oil change interval.

Default Re: Oil change interval

Would someone please tell me the recommended oil change interval for the CC363i.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Would someone please tell me the recommended oil change interval for the CC363i.
    I change my oil around 30hrs or as soon as it starts looking dirty. I’ve gonna 50 on trips and didn’t like it.
    Emailing Pete at factory best way to get any technical info.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

I would interpret that as a 25hr oil change. It's probably standard cut and paste for cleaning the breather tube. Also at the bottom of the page where it says Engine Oil: Fill - 25hrs.

My CC340 manual states the same thing for the breather tube and I'm also on the 50hr oil change cycle.

I agree, conflicting information and CC should correct it.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 01-16-2021 at 07:25 AM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I stick to around 30hrs
    Last edited by Tsquared; 01-16-2021 at 01:03 PM.

This appears to be Lycoming current recommendation:

https://www.lycoming.com/content/oil...ecommendations

My PA28 O-360 ran over 2,800 hours since overhaul with no engine work needed. Its oil was changed at 50 hours or once a year, whichever came first. In Arizona the humidity is so low that condensation build up isn't an issue. I doubt I'll be around when my CC363i gets to 2,800 hours but I hope it will run that much or longer. I see no reason to pull apart an engine that runs well and has good compression.

The reason for the interest in oil change interval is that I'm continuing the Blackstone oil analysis that was initiated by CubCrafters. Blackstone provides "universal averages" that they tell me are based on the CC363i engine only and not on all IO-360 or an even wider data set. If everyone changes oil much earlier than 50 hours then the results for a 50 hour oil run are going to be quite different from the "universal average".

As I'm sure you probably will, I'd still check with CC on why (if correct) the 25hr interval?

If you are like me, it seems I'd changing oil quite often.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Another data point.

Operator’s Manual Lycoming O-360, HO-360,IO-360, AIO-360,HIO-360 & TIO-360 Series

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defau...2060297-12.pdf

SECTION 4 PERIODIC INSPECTIONS:

3. 50-HOUR INSPECTION (ENGINE). In addition to the items listed for daily pre-flight inspection, the following maintenance checks should be made after every 50 hours of operation.

c. Lubrication System.
    (1) Replace external full flow oil filter element. (Check used element for metal particles.) Drain and renew lubricating oil.(2) (Engines Not Equipped with External Filter.) Remove oil pressure screen and clean thoroughly. Note carefully for presence of metal particles that are indicative of internal engine damage. Change oil every 25 hours.

I think it's clear that the CC AMM requirement for a 25 hour oil change is not consistent with Lycoming recommendations.

I ask the same question to CC's lead mechanic a couple years back and he told me that because the CC has only an average of 4 qts of oil in the sump where a standard Lycoming has 6-7 qts, he recommended shorter intervals 25-30rs which made sense to me. However, it would be nice to have all the CC documentation consistent.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    I ask the same question to CC's lead mechanic a couple years back and he told me that because the CC has only an average of 4 qts of oil in the sump where a standard Lycoming has 6-7 qts, he recommended shorter intervals 25-30rs which made sense to me. However, it would be nice to have all the CC documentation consistent.

What engine was that recommendation for? CC has recently confirmed that the CC363i has a sump capacity of 8 qts - the same as a standard 0-360 or IO-360. The FX-3 oil door has a placard that suggests adding oil when the level drops to 5.5 qts. It seems unlikely that many would operate a CC363i at an average of 4 qts.