Thread: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What is it that anyone current and proficient in tail wheel would get out of a very expensive TacAero FX-3 course? Aren't most people doing this course because their insurance carrier demands FX-3 time?
    I'm not sure my insurance cared about time in type, that could be the case but that's not why I took the course. TacAero gives you a certificate but my insurance guy said it was irrelevant I think because it's not FAA approved training. I took advantage of an opportunity to get training in the specific type I'm buying and have never flown. I have no experience with constant speed props and obviously low TW time. I come from an Air Force background where pilots are well trained before they ever set foot in the cockpit and are well trained at all times after that point. I hate the feeling of flying ignorant, it's a problem waiting to happen.

Getting an opportunity to be trained and learn the aircraft is only going to benefit me and hopefully minimize risks of being clueless in a new type. As an A-10 pilot our first flight is by ourselves, there are no two seaters, so I know the feeling of a new plane having never flown it before (and we didn't have SIMS other than part task trainers). I learned a lot, A LOT, from the TacAero training and the techniques to drastically improve safety for me taking advantage of this training opportunity. Learning a thorough preflight and what to look for specific to the FX-3 as well as procedures start to finish. The FX-3, as you know, has some unique glide and landing characteristics. As it will be 5-6 months from the last FX-3 flight I'm also getting a short refresher when at Hood River prior to flying my plane to again put training and proficiency in my court as best as possible. Yes, as many have done and will do it can be done without this training but to some such as myself if given the opportunity I certainly will take the education. I'm glad TacAero made this available and went to the effort required for an experimental such as the FX-3.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 04-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.