Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Default Re: TacAero FX-3 Training - Fredericksburg, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What is it that anyone current and proficient in tail wheel would get out of a very expensive TacAero FX-3 course? Aren't most people doing this course because their insurance carrier demands FX-3 time?
    I'm not sure my insurance cared about time in type, that could be the case but that's not why I took the course. TacAero gives you a certificate but my insurance guy said it was irrelevant I think because it's not FAA approved training. I took advantage of an opportunity to get training in the specific type I'm buying and have never flown. I have no experience with constant speed props and obviously low TW time. I come from an Air Force background where pilots are well trained before they ever set foot in the cockpit and are well trained at all times after that point. I hate the feeling of flying ignorant, it's a problem waiting to happen.

Getting an opportunity to be trained and learn the aircraft is only going to benefit me and hopefully minimize risks of being clueless in a new type. As an A-10 pilot our first flight is by ourselves, there are no two seaters, so I know the feeling of a new plane having never flown it before (and we didn't have SIMS other than part task trainers). I learned a lot, A LOT, from the TacAero training and the techniques to drastically improve safety for me taking advantage of this training opportunity. Learning a thorough preflight and what to look for specific to the FX-3 as well as procedures start to finish. The FX-3, as you know, has some unique glide and landing characteristics. As it will be 5-6 months from the last FX-3 flight I'm also getting a short refresher when at Hood River prior to flying my plane to again put training and proficiency in my court as best as possible. Yes, as many have done and will do it can be done without this training but to some such as myself if given the opportunity I certainly will take the education. I'm glad TacAero made this available and went to the effort required for an experimental such as the FX-3.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 04-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    The FX-3, as you know, has some unique glide and landing characteristics.
    Well maybe I should have done the course. I was not aware the FX-3 had any unique glide and landing characteristics.

The flap handle was one thing I found significantly different or awkward. I would recommend practicing full flap missed approaches at altitude rather than doing the first one for real. (There is one FX-3 accident in the NTSB database in which a missed approach resulted in impact with trees with flaps still full down)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well maybe I should have done the course. I was not aware the FX-3 had any unique glide and landing characteristics.

The flap handle was one thing I found significantly different or awkward. I would recommend practicing full flap missed approaches at altitude rather than doing the first one for real. (There is one FX-3 accident in the NTSB database in which a missed approach resulted in impact with trees with flaps still full down)
    Andy, to ME, I expected a better glide ratio, maybe something that felt like the Sport Cub S2 I did my TW endorsement in. Maybe it was because we had 430lbs of flesh inside but we had that in the Sport Cub as well. The FX-3 was new to me so it was just something I had to learn for this plane (glide ratio).

The landing characteristics I mention are either the speed brake like result of the CS prop or tail blanking of the G series flaps. I'm not sure what it is, but you run out of control authority so the technique taught is landing with slight power on to keep airflow over the tail. This is probably second nature to you but to me as a new FX-3 pilot it was something brought up and taught. Non issue in the Sport Cub.

Flap handle was the same experience for me from the TW training so that was not a "characteristic" I had an issue with, all because of training I suppose. And yes I did go arounds in both the Sport Cub and FX-3 with full flaps as well as other unique flying skill training such as flying down the runway very low to survey it or keeping one wheel down also for the same, which was all good training to me.

I think anytime given the opportunity to learn from others what they look for on preflight is a bonus, tolerances, etc.

I thought we had another person in this discussion thread but it seems to have disappeared. For me having done this prior to build week I also got to learn about options, weaknesses (turtle deck cracking they once had a problem with from the antenna causing flex) and got to see two other FX-3's on the field to help me see their panel configs, one had BRS so seeing that first hand was nice. All added bonus for my trip to help me shape my options and discuss with more FX-3 pilots with a lot of experience.

Would I spend $7500 to take my own plane to TacAero in your shoes? Probably not. For me adding $289/hr for the FX-3 was a tough pill to swallow but in the end I found it worth it for my own education and safety. It doesn't reduce my insurance premium for first year as a low time TW pilot. It sure made me feel better about my choice of the FX-3 getting to experience the flight controls vs. the Sport Cub. And also hear opinions on the different planes reassuring me that I made the right choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post
    I’m in Fredericksburg this week.

Any suggestions for good places to eat?

Also, what did a normal day looked like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    depends what kind of food your into. Navajo Grill is really good. they make a really good Old Fashioned. August E's is phenomenal. they actually have Nilgai on the menu as well as Axis. Both are phenomenal. likely need reservations at both locations though.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    Ok, thanks. I'll try to do 5 or 10 hours in a tailwheel before I show up. Every supercub up here is on 35's which is almost like cheating though; tempted to go for the citabria on small wheels for tailwheel proficiency.
    Compared to the 90hp Champ CH7A I started my TW training in the FX3 is cheating. The Decathlon BL8 was worlds away better than the Champ and much closer to the FX3 handling. I’ve found my FX3 with good shocks and Bush wheels to be less squirrelly on landing compared to the Decathlon. More marshmallowy than squirrely.

In my opinion, if your good in a small wheel Citabria/Decathlon/Champ you’ll be set for your TacAero trip.

I find the training extremely useful. I’m on my third day and have improved a lot, being able to hit the spot and use short runways. I also did 10 night landings which I really liked as it sharpened my skills. Overall, I feel this is a great experience for pilots like myself who have low TW experience and are new to the FX-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completed the TacAero training. Did 15.4h (including 1h night flying) and 110 landings.

The training provided me good understanding of the FX-3 and tons of tips from experienced FX-3 operators on what to look for and how to inspect the plane.

I feel very comfortable operating it post this week. We were flying in very challenging conditions with high cross winds and wind shears and down drafts. The training provided me a good understanding of what the plane and I can handle safely.

Kris was a great instructor that truly cares about providing a complete and well rounded program.

It’s expensive, but as a first timer owner of FX-3 it’s money well spent.

Great to hear! Where pretty pumped about starting the training. Sounds like they stay pretty busy. It seems like they’ve had pilots every week this month. We are scheduled for the end of the month.

---------------------------------------
    Roy Diaz
    Midland, TX
    KMDD
    CC FX3

----------------------------------------

I'm following your videos on youtube, Roy. Looks great. Did Tac-Aero offer any guidance regarding options for your bird or did you already have those more or less set before you showed up?

My booking with them is about a month before my build, and I'm hoping to get some opinions from them on things like the fixed rear seat vs sling, L-21 windows, baby bushwheels and acme tail stinger or not, etc. It looks like their birds have the G3X, and the jury is still out on that, even for me ($$$$$).

Did you find the FX3 nose heavy at all? I'm considering going with the baby bush and acme stinger to add some weight back there, especially considering I have the option to always fly off gravel runways (although there is a 1/2 mile pavement taxi involved to get there from my hangar). Either way, I'm guessing electric trim and a CFI in the backseat helps with forward CG.

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal747 View Post
    I'm following your videos on youtube, Roy. Looks great. Did Tac-Aero offer any guidance regarding options for your bird or did you already have those more or less set before you showed up?

My booking with them is about a month before my build, and I'm hoping to get some opinions from them on things like the fixed rear seat vs sling, L-21 windows, baby bushwheels and acme tail stinger or not, etc. It looks like their birds have the G3X, and the jury is still out on that, even for me ($$$$$).

Did you find the FX3 nose heavy at all? I'm considering going with the baby bush and acme stinger to add some weight back there, especially considering I have the option to always fly off gravel runways (although there is a 1/2 mile pavement taxi involved to get there from my hangar). Either way, I'm guessing electric trim and a CFI in the backseat helps with forward CG.

Good Morning Narwhal747. to answer your questions.... Yes. Tac-Aero provided lots of guidance on options. for us, some of it was too late as we are so far into the build. But they do guide you with regards to what works and especially impressive is guidance on where the wear and tear occurs in these birds and what to look for and also fixes. you'll hear about the Jury strut inspection that must occur every annual. TacAero has a permanent fix for it that eliminates the problem. thats one of many examples. You will defintly get your questions answered about the seats, and baby bush wheel and stinger.

Yes, both bumble bee and specter have the g3x which make it really nice. i know the price is up there, but if its possible, do it. the G3x is amazing in so many ways and you will experience that and see first hand. can't say i found the FX3 nose heavy. when your on the roll and you lift the tail after full power application, the tail doesn't pop off the ground, granted we where full fuel and CFI with gear. but it comes up over about 1-2 seconds. I have limited tail wheel time so i'm not sure how that compares to other aircraft.

She's a dream to fly, especially once you begin to use the audible AOA tone for pitch control and find that happy 50mph or so sweet spot where she comes downs like an elevator and your using power ever so slightly to control the rate of descent. The whole time, eyes are outside. with the ever occasional glance at the instruments.

Happy to answer any questions you might have! i will say our (wife and I) experience with TacAero was absolutely phenomenal and i would highly recommend the course to anyone getting an FX3 with no experience in them. they answered all our questions and took us through the airplane tip to tail and pointed out components and what to look for with regards to wear and tear and general maintenance. Ian and Kris were awesome with lots of real world experience and time in the FX3.
    ---------------------------------------
    Roy Diaz
    Midland, TX
    KMDD
    CC FX3

----------------------------------------