Thread: G5 in new Modular Panel

Default G5 in new Modular Panel

Does anyone any instructions or wiring diagrams to add a G5 to a G3X modular panel with auto pilot in a EX3?

Default Re: G5 in new Modular Panel

Quote Originally Posted by stautz View Post
    Does anyone any instructions or wiring diagrams to add a G5 to a G3X modular panel with auto pilot in a EX3?
    CubCrafters has a mod instruction that they provided to me. It covers the wiring only, not the pneumatic lines. The G5 can be added as a G3X backup (requires CANBus wiring change) or as an independent instrument (no CANBus change needed). For my initial G5 installation in my FX-3 I chose not to wire CANBus and to keep G5 completely independent of the G3X system (except for shared pitot and static and an RS232 link that provides NAV data).

I have tentative plans for a full IFR configuration that I may implement later. That will require my G5 to be on CANBus. For now I like the idea that no failure of G3X can take down my G5.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    For now I like the idea that no failure of G3X can take down my G5.
    I installed a G5 in my RV, wonderful little backup, there’s no failure mode of the G3X that would affect the G5. If it lost the CANBUS connection it would just operate like it wasn’t there to begin with.

I’m planning an IFR setup for my build, G5 on left, GNX375 on right, dual comms, etc.

You definitely want the G5 battery add on and a dedicated GPS antenna, the built in antenna doesn’t like aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by bkervaski View Post
    there’s no failure mode of the G3X that would affect the G5.
    The failure modes of interconnected LRU are perhaps more complex that you would like to think. A shorted or open circuit CAN Bus link is a simple failure cases that is easily tested. System response to unexpected CAN Bus traffic is much harder to evaluate. The probability that a firmware defect will cause a G5 or G3X LRU to transmit unexpected data is not zero. The probability that a G5 or G3X LRU will react badly to unexpected CAN Bus traffic is not zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The failure modes of interconnected LRU are perhaps more complex that you would like to think. A shorted or open circuit CAN Bus link is a simple failure cases that is easily tested. System response to unexpected CAN Bus traffic is much harder to evaluate. The probability that a firmware defect will cause a G5 or G3X LRU to transmit unexpected data is not zero. The probability that a G5 or G3X LRU will react badly to unexpected CAN Bus traffic is not zero.
    I agree, everything can fail ... However, a rogue LSU somehow transmitting bad binary serial data in a way the G5 can understand that would result in a safety issue is about as likely as winning the $490 million dollar lottery in Georgia ... twice
    Last edited by bkervaski; 01-06-2021 at 08:23 AM.

Here are the G5 instructions:

ADDING A G5 TO THE G3X SYSTEM WIRING AS A BACKUP:

THE G5 USES THE GARMIN CAN BUS TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE G3X SYSTEM:

1. REMOVE CAN BUS WIRING PINS FROM 45 AND 46 (USING WHITE SIDE OF RED/WHITE D-SUB PIN EXTRACTION-INSERTION TOOL) ON THE 50 PIN GDU465 CONNECTOR P4602, AND USING A HEAT GUN ON THE SOLDER SLEEVES, SEPARATE GDU06C24-2 FROM GDU06D24.

2. GDU06C24-2 WILL BE RE-ROUTED TO THE G5 LOCATION, AND A NEW SHIELDED 24 AWG 2 CONDUCTOR (M27500-24TG2T14) WIRE WILL PARALLEL TO IT THE SAME WAY IT WAS WIRED TO GDU06D24-2; RUN THE NEW WIRE BACK TO P4602 AND PARALLEL WIRE IT THE SAME WAY (WHITE-WHITE, AND WHITE/BLU-WHITE/BLUE). RE-INSTALL TO 45 (CAN BUS LO, WHITE/BLUE,) AND 46 (CAN BUS HI, WHITE). THE SHIELDS ON THE NEW WIRE ARE MADE THE SAME AS THE OTHER EXISTING WIRES AND ADDED TO THE CONNECTOR.

3. PINOUT FOR THE G5 IS:
    PIN 1 – CAN BUS HI (WHITE)
    PIN 2 – CAN BUS LO (WHITE/BLUE)
    PIN 7 – POWER (RUN TO A 5A CIRCUIT BREAKER) 22 AWG M22759/16-22
    PIN 9 – GROUND (TO EXISTING GROUND LUGS ON FRAME) 22 AWG M22759/16-22
    NOTE: DO NOT INSTALL THE CAN BUS TERMINATOR SUPPLIED WITH THE G5, AS THIS IS NOT AT THE END OF THE NETWORK.

4. THE PITOT AND STATIC CONNECTIONS WILL BE PARALLED TO EXISTING LINES. STATIC CAN BE “TEED” BEHIND THE PANEL, AND PITOT NEEDS TO BE RUN BACK UP TO AND THROUGH THE LEFT WING TO BE “TEED” TO THE PITOT LINE, UNLESS A LINE WAS PREVIOUSLY INSTALLED AND CAPPED.

5. THE G5 WILL APPEAR ON THE G3X SETUP SYSTEM INFORMATION PAGE IF PROPERLY WIRED. ITS SOFTWARE WILL ALSO UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY WITH THE G3X SOFWARE IF IT IS NOT UP TO DATE. ALSO, FOLLOW G5 POST-INSTALLATION PROCEDURES AS PER THE CURRENT G5 INSTALLATION MANUAL (ATTITUDE CALIBRATION REQUIRED INSURING MATCHING HEADINGS WITH G3X).

Hi -I was wondering if you know what extractor I can use to remove the pins on the Magnetron harness in the right wing - I put a pin in the wrong hole and need to move it.
    Many thanks
    Julian