Thread: Cowling modification

Default Cowling modification

I have seen an EX-3 looking cowling on an EX. I will try and contact the owner to get the information but I thought I would throw it out here for thoughts. I am not sure if he modified the existing cowling or used a new one. Are the advantages worth the hassle and expense? I’m assuming the air flow/cooling is more efficient.

Default Re: Cowling modification

Difficult to say if it will work as I do not know the EX-3 plenum, oil cooler, etc.,.. set up on the EX-3 compared to the EX. There could be interference issues and or fitment as the different engines may not have the same firewall to prop dimension.

What I have seen on EX-2's are the shark gills cowl flaps of the FX/EX-3, X-Cub installed on an EX-2.

My EX-2 runs pretty cold. The oil cooler and plenum do and excellent job. In winter I have everything taped closed and can get decent temps. In summer where afternoon DA's are pretty high, I still run normal temps. Except of course on hard climbs.

I would call CC's and talk with them as they would know the correct answer.

BTW, Sisters is a very beautiful place. Must be great flying around the area.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 12-20-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Yeah, what I saw were the gills. I have an in-cockpit controlled oil cooler blocking plate that controls my oil temps. My curiosity is what the gills do for the CHTs in hot weather conditions.
    I do live in a nice area but you’re not hurting either. Life’s good.

I also did the oil cooler door mod. What a difference! Best engine modification to date.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL