Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Electronics & Avionics

Default Re: General Electronics & Avionics

While I cannot answer your question specifically as I did a Dynon panel, I do have to reach under the panel and undo the plugs to take the display out of the panel.

Bundle routing wise, I would try to keep things away for the shunt.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    How do I give that plug enough slack to pull the screen out from the panel so I can disconnect it outside the panel OR does the connector just reach the screen installed in the panel and I plug or unplug it by reaching up behind the panel?
    On my FX-3 the XM antenna and GPS antenna connectors can be removed by reaching behind the panel. I could not get to the main connector as the transponder tray and avionics shelf block access.

The available slack in the main cable is almost zero. There is just enough to tilt the display keeping the bottom very close to the panel. A simple tool/fixture to hold the display while the connector is removed would have been helpful.

The layout of the avionics shelf is different for EX-3 and FX-3 but I'd suggest routing your cable to give as much slack as possible.

Solved the GTR-200 radio stuck in rack problem. Pete Dougherty suggested removing the rack from the panel to test it on the bench. On the bench it was a bit better.

I decided to pull the rack rails a bit wider and a hotspot on the bottom rear of the tray was cleared up with a little bending pressure. That helped a lot with the rack off the panel. Installed it was locked up again. In the end most of the binding came from the tight fit at the front of the rack where the panel mount tabs were pressing in on the sides of the rack. It was almost .05 inches deformed between on and off the panel. I bent the mount tabs out and finally got a good fit.

fullsizeoutput_2312.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 12-30-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    Jim Morrical

I am building an EX(1) not an EX2/3. Lots of people have solved this I know, but my first question was how to route the main G3X harness most efficiently. I do not want to do and undo wiring and routing many times!

After looking at lots of posts, Mitche's G3X video, Dave's FaceBook videos and asking some questions I learned that the
    G3X GDU 464 connector will run to the back of the G3X with little slack. Not heard anyone say that, but that was the question that had me locked up. Seems the connector is accessed from behind the panel by reaching under and up then the G3X can be pulled. I was expecting to disconnect / connect it outside the panel. With that cleared up I could move forward.

So far I've routed the whole G3X harness over the V tube just forward of the two grounding tabs. Then from the right side of the V tubes I turned the wiring of the G3X GDU 464 connector, P 241-242 connectors of the GEA 24 Engine Monitor under the V tube forward of the grounding tabs and left toward their connections. I turned the GEA 25 connectors back up over the avionics part of the harness that continues its runs to the left header. The G3X GDU 464 connector leads run well up between the ADHARS and the GEA 24. I'll cover them with chaff protection. That lets all the connectors reach and fit well with little stress on the connectors.

If someone has some different experience let me know ASAP. I'm happy with that and am ready to move on.

hCGbEz%aStaY+pkwLaoQVw.jpg

4SGBtWTWTSKTKDYfld1hEA.jpg

This last photo Pete Dougherty just shared with me. Sorry I can't get it rotated. I don't know how I could get that much slack. I'll reevaluate when I get to the hangar.

20201229_172635.jpg

Last edited by jmorrical; 12-30-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    Jim Morrical

If someone has some different experience let me know ASAP.
    You chosen wire routing is quite different from the way the G3X harness was installed in a recent build FX-3. In the factory installation it appears that the only instrument panel wiring that lies outside the fuselage frame is wiring that will go forward through the firewall.

Probably of no interest to you but I have photos if you'd like them.

The rear connectors of the G3X display are easily accessed from the front. Just removed the 4 corner screws, tip the top out enough to get your hand/screwdriver in and disconnect it.

I am building an EX(1) not an EX2/3. Lots of people have solved this I know, but my first question was how to route the main G3X harness most efficiently. I do not want to do and undo wiring and routing many times!

After looking at lots of posts, Mitche's G3X video, Dave's FaceBook videos and asking some questions I learned that the
    G3X GDU 464 connector will run to the back of the G3X with little slack. Not heard anyone say that, but that was the question that had me locked up. Seems the connector is accessed from behind the panel by reaching under and up then the G3X can be pulled. I was expecting to disconnect / connect it outside the panel. With that cleared up I could move forward.

So far I've routed the whole G3X harness over the V tube just forward of the two grounding tabs. Then from the right side of the V tubes I turned the wiring of the G3X GDU 464 connector, P 241-242 connectors of the GEA 24 Engine Monitor under the V tube forward of the grounding tabs and left toward their connections. I turned the GEA 25 connectors back up over the avionics part of the harness that continues its runs to the left header. The G3X GDU 464 connector leads run well up between the ADHARS and the GEA 24. I'll cover them with chaff protection. That lets all the connectors reach and fit well with little stress on the connectors.

If someone has some different experience let me know ASAP. I'm happy with that and am ready to move on.

hCGbEz%aStaY+pkwLaoQVw.jpg

4SGBtWTWTSKTKDYfld1hEA.jpg

This last photo Pete Dougherty just shared with me. Sorry I can't get it rotated. I don't know how I could get that much slack. I'll reevaluate when I get to the hangar.

20201229_172635.jpg

Last edited by Daveembry; 12-30-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I'm working on my Carbon Cub EX (1) with Executive Panel G3X. Not an EX 2/3 so I don't have the trim priority system I have heard a bit about.

At the left header main extended bus there is a fourth C/B labeled Intercom. The integrated harness and the Bose/ intercom harness for the left header is installed and the available wires are connected. Not shown is that the bus tie is in place connecting the four breakers. The landing, trim and stall leads are connected. The wire with blue tape is now connected at the trim C/B.

I can not find a wire to connect to the intercom C/B. Where do I find that wire? Do I need to wire and route it myself from somewhere?

Can’t find any info. Here are photos of both sides of the header.

zc4mTgEeS1u2th+rBLRJ4Q.jpg

Q+3xv4ktTNSHf6khCCs6Sg.jpg
    Jim Morrical

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthr...ll=1#post22440

It is explained in post #71. I can’t recall on the EX if that is correct for you or not but check it out. Does you wiring show the START breaker on another bus?

9F9871E0-7468-4DB1-B7AA-81AFC3580012.jpg

I'm working on my Carbon Cub EX (1) with Executive Panel G3X. Not an EX 2/3 so I don't have the trim priority system I have heard a bit about.

At the left header main extended bus there is a fourth C/B labeled Intercom. The integrated harness and the Bose/ intercom harness for the left header is installed and the available wires are connected. Not shown is that the bus tie is in place connecting the four breakers. The landing, trim and stall leads are connected. The wire with blue tape is now connected at the trim C/B.

I can not find a wire to connect to the intercom C/B. Where do I find that wire? Do I need to wire and route it myself from somewhere?

Can’t find any info. Here are photos of both sides of the header.

zc4mTgEeS1u2th+rBLRJ4Q.jpg

Q+3xv4ktTNSHf6khCCs6Sg.jpg
    Last edited by Daveembry; 01-01-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

I always restate this, but I'm building an EX (1). My panel already has a Start breaker on the top of the panel. I have searched my Garmin G3X manual for all the wiring and nothing jumps out. I have an email in to kitsupport, but no response yet.

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2965.jpg
    Jim Morrical

You have a GTR 200. The GTR 200 includes the intercom. There is no separate intercom. The GTR 200 should have one circuit breaker that powers the radio and the internal intercom function. The intercom breaker is needed for the World VFR panel which uses a Trig radio with separate PM3000 intercom.

The probable reason you have an intercom circuit breaker is that your kit was incorrectly provisioned.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-07-2021 at 05:43 AM.