Thread: 2020 Carbon Cub SS - Just Delivered

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2020 Carbon Cub SS - Just Delivered

Just got my new 2020 Carbon Cub SS. This is my third SS since 2010. My second SS was a 2014 model. I struggled for over a year trying to make my mind up about getting an FX-3 or another SS. I really value the performance of the light SS. I don't normally use the airplane to go anywhere, I use the airplane to enjoy flying.

The thing I wanted most in the FX-3 was the fuel injected engine for smoothness and better specific fuel consumption. The Titan 340's in my first two SS's were not smooth running engines. Seemed like the front two cylinders and the rear two cylinders could never get together. The Titan 340 is, however, very efficient. It appears to have a 7% better BSFC than the fuel injected CC363i on the FX-3. I have no idea why, since fuel injected engines typically are more efficient than carbureted engines of similar displacement.

My new Carbon Cub SS came with the now Continental Aerospace OX340CCB3J3N4 engine which appears to be the CubCrafters specific model of the Continental Titan X-340. I have now made several flights with the new airplane. This engine is very smooth running. Feels like a fuel injected engine. Nothing like the Titan 340 in my 2010 and 2014 models. The engine even runs smoother when leaned. I don't know when the conversion to the Continental version of the X-340 took place but since the introduction of the FX-3, not many SS models have been made. Checking the FAA records it appears only 3 SS's have been made for the 2020 model year. So Continental has added some magic sauce to the Titan 340 but it has been a secret since so few SS's have been made.

Fit and finish of the 2020 SS seems better than my 2014 or 2010 model. This is probably influenced by the fact it is sharing the production line with the XCubs. G3X integration on the SS is also excellent.

For me, this new SS is all about safety. I started wearing a helmet a year ago when flying the Carbon Cub. With the new SS I have added the BRS parachute and AmSafe airbags. The SS has the G3X Executive panel and autopilot. All up it weighs 1,000 lbs compared to around 1,190 lbs for a comparably equipped FX-3. My fully equipped 2014 SS with Beringer ALG and no safety options weighs 960 lbs.

Next step is to pull off the legacy cub landing gear, Grove brakes/wheels and replace those components with a full Beringer ALG and brake/wheel system. That will save another 5 lbs in aircraft weight and is another additional safety feature.

Last edited by turbopilot; 11-25-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA