Thread: FAA type designator

Default FAA type designator

FAA type designator document
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...tors_FINAL.pdf
    does not include designators for FX or EX types.

My FX-3 ADS-B out does not include a type designator and, although I call myself "experimental Cub", I am often asked for my aircraft type. Perhaps that's because I'm sometimes going a bit faster than a J3 would, or maybe it's because a J3 would not usually have ADS-B out capability.

Has CubCrafters reached any agreement with FAA on an appropriate type designator for the FX-3? Wasn't Jon Delamarter working on this before he left?

How do other FX-3 owners identify their aircraft type when talking to approach or center?

Default Re: FAA type designator

I stick with Super Cub when talking to tower or center. We have a number of Husky’s, J3 cubs and a Super Cub and a handful of older tail draggers at the field I fly out of. More often than not tower just describes us as “Cub”. No one around here knows what a Carbon Cub is much less a CCX-2000. By using Super Cub, at least people know I’m slow in the pattern and generally what to look for.
    Last edited by Tsquared; 11-23-2020 at 07:08 PM.

Cub or Super Cub for me.
    If I want to sound suave I use Cub if I want to sound fast I use Super Cub

When I fly my PA28-180 I call myself "Archer xxx". In response to ATC's "say aircraft type" I respond "Papa 28 Alpha slant Uniform" because that is how they know the type and it's characteristics. My PA28 ADS-B out identifies my type as "P28A".

Since FAA order 7360.1E (1E is current not 1D as previously linked) contains no designator for CCX-2000 or FX-3 there is no valid way to communicate the aircraft "type" to ATC and there is no appropriate type designator code for transmission by ADS-B out. To the best of my knowledge all FX-3 leave the factory with a blank or dashed type designator in the ADS-B configuration data.

I first became aware of the problem when I started to use the new AOPA flight planner to plan my return to base from Yakima. In that flight planner the FX-3 had been assigned the designator PA11. After I questioned this assignment the flight planner developer contacted CubCrafters and was told that CC19 should be used for CCX-2000.

I don't know if this designator assignment was ever approved by FAA or ICAO. All I know is that it's not in FAA Order 7360.1E.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-01-2021 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    After I questioned this assignment the flight planner developer contacted CubCrafters and was told that CC19 should be used for CCX-2000.

I don't not know if this designator assignment was ever approved by FAA or ICAO. All I know is that it's not in FAA Order 7360.1E.
    The FAA Order seems to be subordinate to ICAO DOC 8643. This page may be helpful -
    https://www.icao.int/publications/DO...signators.aspx

Maybe I'll load ZZZZ as my ADS-B Out type designator and see if local ATC has a fit.

DOC 8643 is due for update 4 December 2020. VAN's aircraft designs have been issued type designators so it seems reasonable to assume CubCrafters EX and FX designs could be too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No change since previous report. Note that a search for "CubCrafters" will fail as ICAO has used "Cub Crafters" as manufacturer.

ICAO designators assigned to CubCrafters.PNG

I'm not entirely sure what the official company name is. I've seen documents where it is stated to be "Cub Crafters Inc" and also documents with "CubCrafters Group LLC"

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what the official company name is. I've seen documents where it is stated to be "Cub Crafters Inc" and also documents with "CubCrafters Group LLC"
    FAA and EASA use "Cub Crafters Inc" on the CC19-180 TCDS.

Trying to recall where I needed the info but it appears Garmin in the Garmin Pilot App doesn't recognize CubCrafters. They integrate with FltPlan.com so I went there to set everything up and that's where I needed it as they too in whatever area I was in wasn't showing the info to pick from. And yes, I use ForeFlight but am checking out the Garmin Pilot App as obviously everything in the plane is Garmin.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My PA28 ADS-B out identifies my type as "P28A".
    Since the subject was woken up again I did a bit more research. There appears to be no configuration entry for "ICAO Aircraft Type" for either the GTX or for the uAvionix beacon I have on my PA-28. Public ADS-B tracking sites identify my PA-28 as "P28A". Some used to identify my FX-3 as "----" but some now identify it as "PA11". None of these type descriptions appears to be transmitted by ADSB-Out so I assume they are a database lookup based on the ICAO aircraft code. ICAO code is in the FAA aircraft registration database.

For my most recent FX-3 flight FlightAware shows no type information in the aircraft details box. ADSBexchange shows the type as PA11. FlightRadar24 shows type as FX-3 Carbon Cub but type code as PA11. No type description is included in an FAA PAPR.

It appears the FX-3 is going to be "PA11" type code unless CubCrafters decides to change it.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-27-2022 at 08:22 AM.