Thread: FAA type designator

Default FAA type designator

FAA type designator document
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/...tors_FINAL.pdf
    does not include designators for FX or EX types.

My FX-3 ADS-B out does not include a type designator and, although I call myself "experimental Cub", I am often asked for my aircraft type. Perhaps that's because I'm sometimes going a bit faster than a J3 would, or maybe it's because a J3 would not usually have ADS-B out capability.

Has CubCrafters reached any agreement with FAA on an appropriate type designator for the FX-3? Wasn't Jon Delamarter working on this before he left?

How do other FX-3 owners identify their aircraft type when talking to approach or center?

Default Re: FAA type designator

I stick with Super Cub when talking to tower or center. We have a number of Husky’s, J3 cubs and a Super Cub and a handful of older tail draggers at the field I fly out of. More often than not tower just describes us as “Cub”. No one around here knows what a Carbon Cub is much less a CCX-2000. By using Super Cub, at least people know I’m slow in the pattern and generally what to look for.
    Last edited by Tsquared; 11-23-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Cub or Super Cub for me.
    If I want to sound suave I use Cub if I want to sound fast I use Super Cub

When I fly my PA28-180 I call myself "Archer xxx". In response to ATC's "say aircraft type" I respond "Papa 28 Alpha slant Uniform" because that is how they know the type and it's characteristics. My PA28 ADS-B out identifies my type as "P28A".

Since FAA order 7360.1E (1E is current not 1D as previously linked) contains no designator for CCX-2000 or FX-3 there is no valid way to communicate the aircraft "type" to ATC and there is no appropriate type designator code for transmission by ADS-B out. To the best of my knowledge all FX-3 leave the factory with a blank or dashed type designator in the ADS-B configuration data.

I first became aware of the problem when I started to use the new AOPA flight planner to plan my return to base from Yakima. In that flight planner the FX-3 had been assigned the designator PA11. After I questioned this assignment the flight planner developer contacted CubCrafters and was told that CC19 should be used for CCX-2000.

I don't not know if this designator assignment was ever approved by FAA or ICAO. All I know is that it's not in FAA Order 7360.1E.
    Last edited by Andy; 11-24-2020 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    After I questioned this assignment the flight planner developer contacted CubCrafters and was told that CC19 should be used for CCX-2000.

I don't not know if this designator assignment was ever approved by FAA or ICAO. All I know is that it's not in FAA Order 7360.1E.
    The FAA Order seems to be subordinate to ICAO DOC 8643. This page may be helpful -
    https://www.icao.int/publications/DO...signators.aspx

Maybe I'll load ZZZZ as my ADS-B Out type designator and see if local ATC has a fit.

DOC 8643 is due for update 4 December 2020. VAN's aircraft designs have been issued type designators so it seems reasonable to assume CubCrafters EX and FX designs could be too.
    Attached Images Attached Images