Thread: Building an EX3 5.500 miles away from Yakima

Default Building an EX3 5.500 miles away from Yakima

Yesterday, finally we made the first flight for the Carbon Cub EX3 we started to build 2 years ago in Barcelona (Spain). It’s been a great challenge for us from the beginning, since we bought the kit to the European dealer to the first flight. I'm personally used to the work with Vans Aircraft (I have an RV8) and I was expecting some kind of similar or better service with Cubcrafters but far from it. The kit inventory raised some pieces missing and some not listed ! . Talk to Mitch was impossible, never available by phone and very difficult to have answers from him by email. Big surprise with the manuals… a lot of info not corresponding to EX3, videos old as well no corresponding to the model we were building but finally we could get to the end. The key point for us was to follow this forum. Without this forum and all the post from “all of you” wouldn’t have been possible to make it. Specially I would like to thank to Dave Embry (Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints) and Chuck Schmidt (Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips) for their fantastic job, sharing their building process with all of us. I really know and appreciate the time and effort necessary to put all this information in the Forum. You can have a look to the finished plane and first fight in:

https://youtu.be/j83drlmAUBY

Note: Since April 2020 we notice a very good change in the support for the builders in Cubcrafters. The have now a email specific for support and that have been quick and kind in all our questions. Hope this will help future builders.

Thanks again to all the pilots contributing to this forum, without you it would’n have been possible to arrive where we are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Building an EX3 5.500 miles away from Yakima

Congratulations on the first flight! Nice looking plane. You will greatly enjoy flying the plane.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Congratulations!

Wow what a paint scheme! That looks difficult and time consuming.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

That is a very Euro but beautiful paint scheme! I'm a few months behind you with my EX3 build. Congratulations!

Comas, congratulations on such a great build! It is beautiful!

As an RV-8 builder, I share your frustrations with the EX-3 kit, and Cubcrafters, even though I am only 1000 miles away. Your perseverance will pay great rewards. Way to go!

John

Thumbs up Re: Building an EX3 5.500 miles away from Yakima

What an incredible job painting! That is fantastic!
    Felicitations !

¡Felicidades y viva Barcelona!

Congratulations Comas! Great looking EX3. Glad the forum posts helped. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by comas View Post
    Yesterday, finally we made the first flight for the Carbon Cub EX3 we started to build 2 years ago in Barcelona (Spain). It’s been a great challenge for us from the beginning, since we bought the kit to the European dealer to the first flight. I'm personally used to the work with Vans Aircraft (I have an RV8) and I was expecting some kind of similar or better service with Cubcrafters but far from it. The kit inventory raised some pieces missing and some not listed ! . Talk to Mitch was impossible, never available by phone and very difficult to have answers from him by email. Big surprise with the manuals… a lot of info not corresponding to EX3, videos old as well no corresponding to the model we were building but finally we could get to the end. The key point for us was to follow this forum. Without this forum and all the post from “all of you” wouldn’t have been possible to make it. Specially I would like to thank to Dave Embry (Building the EX3 - Tips & Hints) and Chuck Schmidt (Chuck and Ryan's Build Tips) for their fantastic job, sharing their building process with all of us. I really know and appreciate the time and effort necessary to put all this information in the Forum. You can have a look to the finished plane and first fight in:

https://youtu.be/j83drlmAUBY

Note: Since April 2020 we notice a very good change in the support for the builders in Cubcrafters. The have now a email specific for support and that have been quick and kind in all our questions. Hope this will help future builders.

Thanks again to all the pilots contributing to this forum, without you it would’n have been possible to arrive where we are.
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..