Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery drain on FX3

Default battery drain on FX3

I left the mags on both inadvertently with the Master off. Battery was drained a couple days later. I think I saw someone mention this in an earlier post with an explanation, but am unable to find it.

Default Re: battery drain on FX3

Quote Originally Posted by KCKS View Post
    I left the mags on both inadvertently with the Master off. Battery was drained a couple days later. I think I saw someone mention this in an earlier post with an explanation, but am unable to find it.
    Post deleted by author
    Last edited by Andy; 11-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KCKS View Post
    FX3 doesn’t have mags,so it’s not grounding mags. If you leave the key on L/R or both it will run the battery down. It’s powering the Lightspeed ignition.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    If you leave the key on L/R or both it will run the battery down. It’s powering the Lightspeed ignition.
    The ignition switch does not provide power to the ignition modules. Your explanation is either incomplete or simply wrong.

Before I took delivery of my FX-3 I spent quite a bit of time trying to fully understand its systems. Part of that research included a study of the how the electronic ignition system was wired. I documented my findings as comments on the ignition schematic.

I'll attach that document. Maybe others can learn from it. Maybe someone will correct any mistakes I made. Either way I hope someone will learn from it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy; 11-09-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Before I took delivery of my FX-3 I spent quite a bit of time trying to fully understand its systems. Part of that research included a study of the how the electronic ignition system was wired. I documented my findings as comments on the ignition schematic.

I'll attach that document. Maybe others can learn from it. Maybe someone will correct any mistakes I made. Either way I hope someone will learn from it.
    If you leave the key on L/R or Both your battery will die (guaranteed) Whether it un grounds it or allows it to power up doesn’t matter to me. I really have no desire to read the wiring schematics , it’s allowing something to energize. I’d rather go flying and just turn the key off when I get back. Way more fun.
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

FX3 ignition system (and Carbon Cub SS, has power whether the master is on or off. The only way to remove power from the Lightspeed ignition boxes is to pull the L/R ignition breakers on the front of the seat base. They are connected to the master solenoid, but to the hot side (same side as the + lead off the batter) not the switched side that is only hot when the master switch is on.

The key switch mimics a "mag" switch on a dedicated input to each ignition box to turn them off, the power does not go through the key switch.

Turning the master switch off should not change how the engine runs. If the engine dies when the master is turned off, something is wired incorrectly.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete,
    Just so I understand this right, this does not apply to the EX1 or 2. those master switchs will turn off the ignition boxes, correct?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Any LightSpeed ignition system should be wired "direct to battery" (with circuit protection).
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    They are connected to the master solenoid, but to the hot side (same side as the + lead off the batter) not the switched side that is only hot when the master switch is on.

Thanks for that clarification. I have added a comment to my ignition schematic.
    Attached Files Attached Files