Thread: Possible future floats on FX3?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Possible future floats on FX3?

I've been watching a lot of videos lately on float plane flying (Cubs) and it sure looks interesting. While it's not in my near future, what needs to be ordered and what's the cost so that a FX3 can take floats at a later date? Would be nice to build a plane so that it's future is not limited by me or whomever owns it later.

Default Re: Possible future floats on FX3?

Float kit - call me tomorrow.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thank you. I was/am confused by the part under the float kit option:

Airframe upgrade / high GW amphib floats

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I've been watching a lot of videos lately on float plane flying (Cubs) and it sure looks interesting. While it's not in my near future, what needs to be ordered and what's the cost so that a FX3 can take floats at a later date? Would be nice to build a plane so that it's future is not limited by me or whomever owns it later.
    I'm rated single engine sea and I went through the same thought process. The only requirement for adding amphib floats later is to have the aft attach points reinforced. I think this is a $2k mod that adds about 4 lb. I eventually decided that I was not likely to ever put my FX-3 on floats and that I was building the airplane for me not the next owner. My understanding is that the mod is not required for straight floats.

If you fit amphibs you need a gear control panel. That would fit in the hole to the left of the GDU 465 display but, on my airplane, that hole is used for a G5.
    Last edited by Andy; 10-29-2020 at 06:13 AM.

Good info. Thanks Andy. Was just a thought but that thought has come and gone. Interesting how YouTube showed me a video of a float plane fly-in at the lake I used to take my boat! Someone is behind this!

Neal,
    ive got the float kit on mine. Cost was $2500 and weight is 8lbs. It’s just the frame reenforcement.