Thread: Boot Cowl build

Default Boot Cowl build

Having some trouble with aligning the right boot cowl during the boot cowl build. I have good spacing at the top diagonal, flush with the firewall angles, but the right side is 3/16" shy of where it should lay on the door pillar and fabric spacer. The right boot cowl starts flush at the top of the door opening with the pillar, but then doesn't follow the angle, getting further away from the pillar edge, and not reaching my drawn 1/2" line on the fabric spacer. If I pull the boot cowl back to where it should be on the fabric spacer then it is not flush with the firewall angles. I've started over twice, the firewall has good contact with the fuselage mounts, nothing holding it out. What can I try? The left boot cowl fits proper, easily meets the 1/2" line drawn on its fabric spacer. Thanks.

Default Re: Boot Cowl build

I struggled with the exact same thing. It wasn't until I strapped it with the tiedowns and pulled it tight did it pull into place. Even defected around the A arm mounts a little.

This is a little late, but I struggled with that too. I used a 2X4 and a couple straps adjusting the 2X4s position to get the line I needed. I worried about it, but the firewall was square. And I was able to get screws installed with good edge distance all around.

IMG_4658.jpg

Here is the right side. Almost 3/8" to pull back. I just couldn't pull it back by hand and hold it for drilling.

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4673.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 09-22-2023 at 10:05 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Thank you. I appreciate the photos of your technique.