Thread: VOR / ILS antanna

Default VOR / ILS antanna

When I build my RV9 I placed a Archer VOR/ILS antenna in the wingtip. There was very little choice and the location makes it easy to service.

On my Citabria, American Champion was able to place a traditional Y shaped antenna into the Vertical Stabilizer.

I do plan to put a GTN650 into the panel. The GTN650 has a Nav Radio which will require an antenna.

How, where and what type of antenna have you used?

Neil Rosoff

PS I do not plan to be flying approaches with my EX3. IFR (I Follow Roads) and GPS will be my primary form of navigation, but I like having a backup.
    Last edited by nrosoff; 10-15-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Default Re: VOR / ILS antanna

I actually use these on my Commander. They work great but, will have to see how it will fit.

Neil Rosoff

Quote Originally Posted by ben_john7 View Post
    Aircraft antenna S15B101-C2
    These low profile, light weight airborne antennas are compatible with military, business & civil aircrafts ILS systems.

I also thinking towards a Acher antenna. I will manufacture a flat Fibreglass sheet that fit into the wing tip and then fit the Acher and antenna onto the sheet. I have fitted one in my RV14 and it’s working fine.

Below is the reply from Cubcrafters. I don’t think the Archer will work because it needs a good ground that I believe won’t be possible with the Carbon Cub wing. I have a Archer NAV antenna in my RV14 that is working fine but with that installation you ground it to the wing skin,that, as I understand, is necessary for it to work properly.

“We typically mount VOR type NAV antennas on the bottom side of the top U channel piece in the vertical stabilizer with the V whiskers pointing aft very similar to how Piper did with the PA18 SuperCub. Usually this type of antenna has a round "puck" and two removable fiberglass rods held in with set screws. It mounts with two
    3/16 screws. The round puck can be mounted before fabric and the coax routed down the inside of the vertical stab leading edge tube. After cover and paint then the fiberglass whips are installed after the tail is on.”