Thread: Lifting to service gear, shocks, tires

Question Lifting to service gear, shocks, tires

I did not search the forums first, bad on me if already covered! Educate me on how to raise the plane such as an FX3 to service shocks, change a tire, etc.

Thank you

Default Re: Lifting to service gear, shocks, tires

For lifting, there are two lift rings on top connected to the front spar top attach bolts (this is on a EX-2).

To change a tire, floor jack the gear side that you are working on.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

If my hanger doesn't have a lift, or one is not available, can you jack it by using a jack and a wood panel in the landing gear area? I ask this as I saw this done in a youtube video, not a cub but looked like an option. Two people, two jacks, platform support under the gear area of the fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    I did not search the forums first, bad on me if already covered! Educate me on how to raise the plane such as an FX3 to service shocks, change a tire, etc.

Thank you
    Lifting is covered in the maintenance manual. You can jack the gear or the wing strut attach point. Read the manual for details. With 850 tires it's easy to jack the gear with a small floor jack and a small wood block. I still have not found out if that same jack will work with wider BushWheels but I soon will.

With another airplane I have lifted using the engine mount. My engine hoist is tall enough to reach these but not tall enough to use the lift rings. Lifting using the engine mount is not included in the maintenance manual so I can't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    For lifting, there are two lift rings on top connected to the front spar top attach bolts (this is on a EX-2).

To change a tire, floor jack the gear side that you are working on.

If lifting from the lifting rings be sure to use a spreader bar so the chains go straight up from the lifting rings. Otherwise your lifting rings will rotate inboard and crack the skylight & windshield. Also loads the fitting better.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete
    I bought a 2 ton electric chain hoist from a former CT cubcrafters dealer a few years ago, He used it for lifing his carbon cub 16 feet in the air for storage in a hangar. It was the only hangar space available and it hung on the lifting rings all the time when not flying. Would this work safely over time?

jim

Wink Re: Lifting to service gear, shocks, tires

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Pete
    I bought a 2 ton electric chain hoist from a former CT cubcrafters dealer a few years ago, He used it for lifing his carbon cub 16 feet in the air for storage in a hangar. It was the only hangar space available and it hung on the lifting rings all the time when not flying. Would this work safely over time?

jim
    As long as you log it as flight time

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Lifting is covered in the maintenance manual. You can jack the gear or the wing strut attach point. Read the manual for details. With 850 tires it's easy to jack the gear with a small floor jack and a small wood block. I still have not found out if that same jack will work with wider BushWheels but I soon will.

With another airplane I have lifted using the engine mount. My engine hoist is tall enough to reach these but not tall enough to use the lift rings. Lifting using the engine mount is not included in the maintenance manual so I can't recommend it.

Just had this conversation yesterday and it was made very very clear to NOT lift the airplane with the engine mount. It is designed to hold the weight of the engine ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Pete

jim
    The lift rings are designed to lift the airplane to removed and install floats etc, so as long as they are lifted straight up on the length of time shouldn't matter. You just don't want the chains pulling in an inverted Y and pulling inboard on the lifting rings. Should pull more like an inverted U
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc