Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Garmin GTR200B

Default Re: New Garmin GTR200B

The GTR 200 is CubCrafters standard fit. All the B version adds is Bluetooth which, in my opinion, is of no value if you have a Bluetooth headset. If you want to know about the GTR200 it's probably better to read the user guide than this article.

I like the radio but I have yet to find out how to transfer the currently tuned frequency to user memory. Even Garmin support could not provide that answer.

This part "During normal operation and with 3D Audio enabled, the listener hears the active frequency at the 12 o’clock position. If the standby is selected for monitoring, the listener hears the active at 11 o’clock and the standby at the 1 o’clock position. Intercom positions are processed to sound like their relative seat location. " is, like the user guide, misleading. The sound source positions are center, left, and right when using a stereo headset. The sound positions will only be correct on aircraft that have the CubCrafters wiring error fixed.

http://forum.cubcrafters.com/showthread.php/3735-GTR-200-left-right-channel-error

Thanks! Was wondering how CubCrafters refreshes the tech as I'm sure Garmin updates pretty frequently. Bluetooth would be nice for those that don't have Bluetooth enabled headsets, I suppose. I believe the G3X has bluetooth so wouldn't it be redundant?

Absorbing all I can...thank you.

"I believe the G3X has bluetooth"

G3X Touch is a "system" not an LRU. Some members of the system family are Bluetooth capable.

The G3X Touch Installation Manual says this about Bluetooth:

2.1.1.23 Bluetooth
    The GDU 4XX displays in a G3X Touch system include Bluetooth transceivers. This allows a wireless
    connection to a tablet computer, using Garmin Pilot or another application that supports the Garmin
    Connext protocol. The tablet computer can receive GPS position and attitude data from the G3X Touch
    system, and can exchange flight plan information with the GDU 4XX or with a connected GTN navigator.
    In an installation with multiple GDU 4XX displays, the Bluetooth connection to the tablet computer should
    be made to the PFD1 GDU only. Refer to the G3X Touch Pilot’s Guide (190-01754-00) for Bluetooth
    connection information.
    A tablet computer can also establish a separate Bluetooth connection to a GDL 39R/51R/52R ADS-B
    receiver, or to a GTX 45R/345/345R transponder. This allows the display of ADS-B traffic and weather
    data on the tablet computer, using Garmin Pilot or another application that supports the Garmin Connext
    protocol.
    In a G3X Touch system with a GDL 39R ADS-B receiver, the primary connection between the GDL and a
    single GDU 4XX display is via RS-232. However, Bluetooth may also be used to connect additional
    GDU 4XX displays to the GDL 39R, in order to view FIS-B weather data on multiple displays."

"
    Was wondering how CubCrafters refreshes the tech as I'm sure Garmin updates pretty frequently"

When Garmin discontinued the GMC 307 (AFCS mode controller) they replaced it with the more capable GMC 507. Instead of changing from the GMC 307 to the GMC 507 CubCrafters chose to use the less capable GMC 305 for new production. I assume the choice to go the less capable unit was driven by the fact that the GMC 507 would have required a wiring change from RS-232 to CANBus. Panel hole size may also have been a factor.

I think that 507 is the appropriate replacement for the 307 and hence we should ask CC to install it rather than the much less capable 305.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As to the GTR 200B - if cost difference is minimal, why not choose it as the default now? Yes, G3X has bluetooth, so does the GTR-345X although for different use. I just wonder if there are other improvements in a newer product irregardless of the bluetooth, it's like a hardware refresh of the core product, maybe, or an add on BT capability. Who knows, may as well ask and see.

As to the GNC 507 vs. 307, I put a note in my build config requesting the 507 but in my research this morning I really don't see any difference for our use. The bus type is what's different RS-232 vs. CANbus. Functionality wise? I'm not seeing it. I think the 507 is more designed for interaction with the G5 from what I read. For a G3X setup without a G5 307 probably suffices.

I believe my FX3 with executive glass/touch comes with a 307 not 305. The question would be is any value added in going to 507?
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 10-04-2020 at 08:42 AM.

"I believe my FX3 with executive glass/touch comes with a 307 not 305"

As I said an earlier post the 307 is discontinued and standard fit is GMC 305. CubCrafters is not very good at keeping web pages and panel information current.

Compared with the 307 the 305 does not have the select knobs. Not a big deal if the GDU 465 is working - you simply use the GDU 465 select knobs. If the GDU 465 fails you lose the selectors but you also lost airspeed, altitude, attitude, engine instruments and all Nav capability so the loss of the select function is not likely to be your main concern.

I have already fitted a G5 to my FX-3 and the 507 would offer more capability than the standard 305 when/if the GDU 465 fails. I have to consider this because my FX-3 will be IFR en-route and approach capable. The standard fit Exec panel is fine for day VFR.

Yes, I want knobs! This is partly why I backed out of the IFR Lite option as they appeared to only use the 305 apparently for space reasons. Hoping they can honor my request for the 507. Thanks for educating me on this so I wasn't shocked at delivery time.

Even the 305 has “knobs”; they just happen to be on the G3X. You need to come see my airplane. 👍

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Did a quick check at aircraftspruce out of curiosity and the GMC 507 is identical in price to the GMC 307.