Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Belly Pods and CO levels

Default Belly Pods and CO levels

I asked Dan elsewhere on the forum and know of two other cases where increased levels of CO where detected inside the cockpit after the installation of their Pod, one was a Carbon Cub EX and the other a Super Cub. Are others experiencing this increase and to what levels? Remedies?

Default Re: Belly Pods and CO levels

Interesting...watching

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Interesting...watching
    You are partly why I asked

I'm certainly considering the Carbon Concepts pod. I can see the issue but you'd think there would be sufficient airflow. CO is a big concern and I need to get a detector. Thanks for raising the topic.

I'm certainly considering the Carbon Concepts pod. I can see the issue but you'd think there would be sufficient airflow. CO is a big concern and I need to get a detector. Thanks for raising the topic.
    Check your PM

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    I asked Dan elsewhere on the forum and know of two other cases where increased levels of CO where detected inside the cockpit after the installation of their Pod, one was a Carbon Cub EX and the other a Super Cub. Are others experiencing this increase and to what levels? Remedies?
    The belly of the CC is under positive pressure and the cabin in flight runs at a lower pressure. I removed a belly access plate aft of the extended baggage compartment because there was a nice 1/2 steel tube to attach a belly GoPro.

I went flying and my Sentry gave me an alarm for CO through ForeFlight running on my iPhone. Pretty neat. Landed immediately and found another place to mouth the GoPro.

I would guess the same could happen with any kind of hole or tear in the fabric on the belly.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 09-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I picked up my Carbon Concepts pod from Randy In Wasilla. On my way home from Alaska I noticed a headache at times and my carbon monoxide levels were high. As I mentioned elsewhere, adding extensions onto the exhaust system cured the problem.

I flew today and the levels were 1-3. I ran it hard too breaking in my new rings 2600-2700 rpm for 3.3 hours.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

How did you add an extension? Pictures?

How did you add an extension? Pictures?
    Keep in mind each model exhaust may be different. My EX2 for instance has the oil breather tube centered up inside the extension. I would be concerned about changing the effectiveness of this relationship particularly knowing it requires periodic maintenance as it is. Not sure lengthening is an option for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    I picked up my Carbon Concepts pod from Randy In Wasilla. On my way home from Alaska I noticed a headache at times and my carbon monoxide levels were high. As I mentioned elsewhere, adding extensions onto the exhaust system cured the problem.

I flew today and the levels were 1-3. I ran it hard too breaking in my new rings 2600-2700 rpm for 3.3 hours.
    I have another theory about this problem. The center line exhaust blows back across the V cabane then hits the front of the belly tank. From there in flight the exhaust is most likely diverted left and right of the tank streaming back on either side of the tank.

In the Carbon Cub and probably other cubs there is a large cut out in the boot cowl around the attach points of the main gear on both sides of the belly. That opening is contiguous with the sub floor area of the cabin which means with negative cabin pressure relative to the air pressure around the belly tank and over the holes will allow exhaust to flow into the cabin. Those holes and any other on the belly or immediate lower edge of the sides of the fuselage should be sealed.

By the way with or without a belly tank those holes should be covered. Exhaust, mice, bugs, spiders and small snakes can gain entry.

Last edited by turbopilot; 09-30-2020 at 11:48 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA