Thread: 29 vs 31 inch tires

Question 29 vs 31 inch tires

I have 29's currently optioned which is the min required for the 83" prop on the FX3. I'm wondering if I should go with the 31's instead? Cost difference is minimal but it may afford a little more protection on the prop, more forgiving than a smaller tire for landings, and as it's slightly larger it would in effect last longer as I'll be hangared at a paved field. I plan on the heavy tread option. I realiz the penalties will be drag and weight but I don't know the numbers on 31 over 29 in that regard.

What are the opinions on 29 vs 31?

Default Re: 29 vs 31 inch tires

Unless you’re planning to land on true off-airport locations I’d stay with 29s. And when I say off-airport I don’t mean commonly used grass strips. Off airport to me is gravel bars in the rivers, ridge tops, grazing areas, places where no one has landed before.

234BCAD8-6CCA-473B-919D-FCFC2EEBBDF1.jpg

This is on an island and when I landed I didn’t see this hole and went right through it.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

The issue at hand is "I don't know" where I'll be going with this in the future. 1st year, yeah probably local and groomed grass strips. As I gain experience and possibly venture west and go with others to places unknown, will it add protection and safety? Do people with 29's wish they had gone with 31's? Do people with 31's wish they had saved the money, weight, drag and stayed with 29's? One of those damned if you do/don't.

I ran 29s on a SS I built and when I built the CC I went with 31's. They are so much better for off airport flying. They make the rock feel smooth compared to 29's. 35's are likely that much better again. I was very surprised over the difference.

They look better, more prop clearance and work better.

Looks like 31's are only 1 pound heavier than 29's

I think you will do well by making your second purchased first. In the end you'll save money. 31s all the way to the bank.

I had 29” ABWs on my EX and switched to 31”. The 31s are much softer and forgiving. It is my understanding that the 29s were designed for heavier aircraft like 180s and 185s. They have a stiffer sidewall. The 31s were designed for PA18s. I would check with Airframes to verify. I love my marshmallow 31s and would not go back to 29s. To be clear, I am not talking about Airstreak 29s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post

This is on an island and when I landed I didn’t see this hole and went right through it.
    Dan: PM sent. Paint questions. Did not want to drift from this thread's topic

Chuck