Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phase I and II fly-offs

Question Phase I and II fly-offs

Can someone explain in simple terms the restrictions for Phase I and Phase II fly offs? From what I understand I need to fly off all 40 hours (Phase I and II) before I can take the plane east to VA? Or do I only need to stay within the DAR mandated area during Phase I? What is the difference in the phases?

Thanks

Default Re: Phase I and II fly-offs

You will have to fly the entire 40 hours before the airplane can leave Yakima. Give me a call when you get a chance and we can discuss., But there’s no way around this.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

It's not a problem, I fully planned to stay and fly it off. I was just curious if after Phase I you can leave the area.

"I fully planned to stay and fly it off. I was just curious if after Phase I you can leave the area."

Phase 2 is the rest of the life of the airplane after phase 1 is completed. There is no phase 2 fly-off. When you receive the airplane it will already have factory flight test and delivery time. You have to fly the balance of 40 hours in the designated flight test area unless you get FAA approval to ferry to a different test area. I decided that was not worth attempting.

I headed home with about 40.5 hours on the airplane. I flew 46 hours in 8 days. More than I had flown in the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post
    Can someone explain in simple terms the restrictions for Phase I and Phase II fly offs? From what I understand I need to fly off all 40 hours (Phase I and II) before I can take the plane east to VA? Or do I only need to stay within the DAR mandated area during Phase I? What is the difference in the phases?

Thanks
    Check out the FAA's AC 90-116 Additional Pilot Program Phase I Flight. It's a good way to get some "unofficial instruction" from an experienced instructor or pilot in your aircraft during Phase I.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tew View Post
    Check out the FAA's AC 90-116 Additional Pilot Program Phase I Flight. It's a good way to get some "unofficial instruction" from an experienced instructor or pilot in your aircraft during Phase I.

Bill

I checked out that option and, for me, it was not possible. My insurance was invalid during phase 1 if anyone else was in the airplane. Also the additional pilot program only applies to specific listed aircraft and the FX-3 was not on the list.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I checked out that option and, for me, it was not possible. My insurance was invalid during phase 1 if anyone else was in the airplane. Also the additional pilot program only applies to specific listed aircraft and the FX-3 was not on the list.

Andy
    Where did you find the list of aircraft that AC 90-116 applies to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post
    Where did you find the list of aircraft that AC 90-116 applies to?

The referenced AC says:

"8. DETERMINING AIRCRAFT ELIGIBILITY. Eligible aircraft must meet all of the following requirements detailed below:

a. Experimental Certificate. Experimental certificate issued under § 21.191(g), Operating amateur-built aircraft, or § 21.191(i)(2), Operating light-sport aircraft.

b. Kit-Built Aircraft. Currently the FAA is limiting aircraft eligibility to those aircraft built from a kit. These aircraft have the highest population and consistency from aircraft to aircraft. Plans-built aircraft will not be considered at this time. There is currently no intention to consider original designs for this program. Eligible aircraft kits are those that have been evaluated and found eligible to meet the “major portion” requirement of part 21, Certification Procedures for Products and Parts, specifically § 21.191(g), and are listed in the “Revised Listing of Amateur-Built Aircraft Kits.” This list is periodically updated and can be downloaded at: http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/amateur_built_kit_listing.pdf."

So the answer is - http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/u...it_listing.pdf

I know that others have decided the list is not applicable and that the FX-3 qualifies. That's not what FAA appears to say. I think it's clear that FX-3 is built from plans and is not a kit. That is the basis for issuance of its airworthiness certificate.

Does it make sense that an EX-3 qualifies but an FX-3 does not. No, I don't think so, but I didn't write the Advisory Circular.

Andy

Thanks. I also asked TacAero and they have told me that they had received inconclusive answers from the FAA regarding commercial operations (instruction) during phase 1 operation and decided they would not offer any training during that period.

It is would make sense to approach CC regarding this question and ask them to approach the FAA to add the FX3 to the list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Schwbo View Post
    It is would make sense to approach CC regarding this question and ask them to approach the FAA to add the FX3 to the list.

" Currently the FAA is limiting aircraft eligibility to those aircraft built from a kit. These aircraft have the highest population and consistency from aircraft to aircraft. Plans-built aircraft will not be considered at this time."

Including the FX-3 in the additional pilot program would appear to require a change in FAA policy.