Thread: Choosing a SS vs. FX?

Question Choosing a CubCrafters SS vs. FX?

Would like to open the dialog (again?, 2020 version) on choosing between a SS or a FX3. For those that have made this decision what are your decision points, what drove you to one vs. the other? Let's leave one element out of this - cost.

Default Re: Choosing a SS vs. FX?

Why? I thought your decision had been made. Change of mission?

Kind of a difficult comparison in my opinion.

No frills, simple to fly, easy to operate, light weight vs. all the latest equipment, more complex, heavier but more pay load.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

My posts aren’t always about me and may be presented to help others with questions I’m asked, etc. I am set on the FX3 - yes.

My decision point: the FX3 was available yet.

Not an SS, but the EX-2 is somewhat similar as you can go LSA (1320 lbs GW) with this kit (EX-2 GW 1865 lbs).

I like simple non complex light planes for my mission. I built it with extended range tanks, 3X3 gear, T3 tailwheel shock and Black Ops up front (I just run 8.50 tires). Dynon HDX panel (no auto pilot & ADS-B compliant In/Out).

I fly the Idaho back country hence the shocks on the gear (or maybe I'm still learning how to land) and extended range tanks. I find it nice to have the extra fuel, one thing less to worry about if weather or wind comes up.
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 09-06-2020 at 02:47 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I've had them both (2020 FX-3 and 2015 SS) and was able to fly them back-to-back for comparison.

I struggled back & forth for several months deciding which one to keep and which to sell.

The SS takes off and lands like a dream. Pull power abeam the numbers, turn base at 45º, and float over the threshold for consistent landings under 500'. With the FX-3 I generally had to carry a little power on landings until some fellow owners suggested leaving the prop at cruise pitch in the pattern. Jury is still out on that one.

For an LSA-only pilot, the decision's pretty much made for the SS. Personally, I'm glad I stuck with the FX-3 but the SS is still dear to my heart. You'd be a winner either way - but one thing to consider is long cross-country flights, which I do with some regularity.

The FX-3's constant-speed prop, Garmin autopilot, long-range tanks, and Sirius XM radio make it a very tolerable cross-country machine. I've flown my FX-3 from coast to coast, from Mt. Rainier to the Statue of Liberty, and while it's no speed demon I can't see doing those long legs in an SS (especially with the 24-gallon tanks). I always thought of my SS as more of a local flyer, while I would not hesitate to fly the FX-3 across the country at its very acceptable cruise speeds.

PM me and I'd be glad to chat about my experiences with both aircraft.

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_1433.jpg