Thread: Dream home for a carbon cub, RV, life

Question Dream home for a carbon cub, RV, life

I currently live in the Richmond, VA area and we'll see how carbon cub life will be in this area with mountains west, water east but at some point being just me and my yellow lab I may be pursuing a change of scenery. The FX3 coming next year may just be the ticket to pull up anchor, which I dread in a large house full of "stuff" but needs to be done.

I have a nice 40ft motorhome so exploring destinations is ideal with it, probably not going to fulltime in it but find a small home or condo at some ideal location maybe in the mid/northwest (MT, ID, UT, CO) region that would be ideal for backcountry flying, RVing, and living. Being single I'm not looking for remote isolated living so community is important but living in a dream destination as of course the clock is always ticking and you need to make things happen such as this move to buy my first plane.

I'm open to ideas such as great destinations, grass strips with hangars, airparks although I'm not sure "living at the airport" is ideal, I could be wrong. I don't mind the winters as the RV can be my winter escape to warmer destinations as this past winter and this coming winter Casa Grande, AZ is my destination for sunshine and pickleball.

Where should I live when I grow up? Where are the ideal locations for Carbon Cub owners (not AK, that will be a place to visit but not live) that involve community, fellow backcountry pilots to enjoy the dream with, and ideal flying destinations?

Default Re: Dream home for a carbon cub, RV, life

Hi Neal!
    You might want to get in touch with Erik McCormick (480-888-6380)... he runs Aviation Hangars and Homes and is based here in Phoenix...he has all kinds of ideas and cross references for cool places around the country!
    And if you are coming down this winter, you could meet up with him as well.
    Let me know when you are here and we can do some hangar flying! And real flying... Im based at KFFZ.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Excellent! Thanks Rick, arriving in your vicinity mid Jan.

You might consider visiting places that appeal to you for your intended mission.

As previously mentioned (in another thread), we full timed in our RV touring the country while our C172 sat in a hanger. When we decided to again have a home base we would travel to an area we might consider and spend some time. We would investigate true cost of living; taxes, price of food, gas, weather, etc..... We would especially look at the local crime rate. My point here is there is more than just airstrips to consider as you know.

Another issue we ran into, a total surprise, was available hanger space. You can pretty much buy a home anywhere, but finding a hanger was difficult. This may have changed as this was about 7 years ago.

Good luck,
    Cheers
    Last edited by aeroaddict; 08-30-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL