Thread: Finding out about available options for a Carbon Cub configuration

Question Finding out about available options for a Carbon Cub configuration

I'm excited to have a FX3 on order and returning to flying after a hiatus post Air Force. One disappointing thing in this process is learning about all available options as upgrades to these aircraft as not everything is listed on the web site. If you go through the various listings in the for sale section of the web site you'll read about various builds that have options you wouldn't be aware of otherwise. I've read about different rear window configurations, 5-point safety harness for the front seat, the red FX3 mentions upgraded carbon graphics, there are custom paint jobs such as I see on TacAero's recent photo, people putting logos on the tail, etc. etc. It's great we have this capability and flexibility but I would hate for anyone spending this much on a dream to find out there was something that could have been done if they only knew.

I wanted to raise this observation first and foremost and then I would love for people to list what custom options ARE available that either they had done or know of that is not listed on the configuration/web site. What is something I should consider as I have plenty of time to learn what's available and make it happen when the time comes to make my final config decisions. It may be nice for the sales folks to have a list of available custom options to present informally to their buyers that are not listed in the config builder system so they can be aware of neat features to further customize their build and make it their dream.

I own a Newmar motorhome and they too offer "specials" and on my RVForums.com web site I run we share what specials we requested and of course what's approved or denied on the motorhome order. When I ordered my Newmar motorhome my salesman did not educate me about specials and that was very unfortunate. I would love to see the same here, what customizations did you get done on your factory aircraft build for others to learn from that they too may want to have done?

Please share so we can all learn from each other. This can be for any and all available aircraft so list the type if needed and the customization(s) available for others to learn from.
    Last edited by hawgdrvr; 08-29-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Default Re: Finding out about available options for a Carbon Cub configuration

Options and customization are left to the products available and your imagination. As an example, my plane (EX-2) is silver and orange, so I bought orange skate board wheels that match the orange paint and to replace the black throttle knobs.

I would say the options you might consider would support your planned mission for the plane. For myself, I like back country flying, so landing gear options are important to me more than things like auto pilot.

It can be simple things like MTB handlebar grips for the stick (but that wouldn't work on the FX-3). Or it can big $$ with Beringer wheels/brakes and bushwheels.

I know RVForums quite well as we full timed for 3 years, had a blast. But I rarely see 'specials' listed here. Occasionally you will see specials listed on other forums as SuperCub.org.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Neal,
    another good reason for us to have a hangar flying session in my hangar when you come down for the winter. That red FX3 you see on the CubCrafters Preowned site is mine; just sold, and have a new one coming that you can see when you stop by. Many options are not official and will not appear on the order form, but with enough notice you can request some. When does your build start?

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Rick, looking forward to meeting you. I'm hitting TacAero for training first week of Jan (4-8) then arriving Casa Grande around the 14th as of now. My build week starts Feb 8th so I'm not staying in Casa Grande long as I'm RVing up to YKM. I may skip Casa Grande and come straight to your area and hang out there then head north when ready to venture to YKM. Then I'll come back south likely to Casa Grande, Phoenix, or Vegas until it's time to head back northbound for completion in May, doing a month or so sightseeing northbound, all TBD.

With the bad weather up north I think it would be in CubCrafter's best interest to put a demo or two in KCGZ and I'll keep a great eye on them! It's important to keep the fuel and oil flowing so I can cover that as well

Hope to get some flying in while out west as we discussed, one way or another. I'll be in touch as the time nears, going to look at some options of just coming direct to Phoenix and not stop in Casa Grande first. Decisions decisions...