Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

Default Re: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

An interesting discussion for sure. If you know for certain your flying style and conditions work well with a 80 inch prop then that's easy as long as you will never get "2 foot'itis" on your prop and wish for the 83 later. As mentioned, the switch to an 83 is nearly a $20K change (prop + wheels/tires). I wonder when/where CC decided 29's were required as there's not much difference in the 26's in prop clearance I'm guessing. And if I were to get Beringers which raise the nose then I could go with 26's most likely but in the end 26's and 29's don't cost much different and one person pointed out to me 29's may last longer as there's more tread so more to wear, who knows.

I don't think I can go the 80in route as northwest flying may be in my future, still trying to figure out where I want to grow up

Now has anyone tried or considered a 3 bladed CS prop like the XCub offers? Something better suited for the FX3 engine but 3 bladed and still constant speed? There may be several benefits in this setup, 26's, less noise/vibration, maybe better cruise?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgdrvr View Post

Now has anyone tried or considered a 3 bladed CS prop like the XCub offers? Something better suited for the FX3 engine but 3 bladed and still constant speed? There may be several benefits in this setup, 26's, less noise/vibration, maybe better cruise?
    Yes, I asked if I could have the 3 blade XCub CS prop on my FX-3. I was given early test data that showed the static thrust of that prop would make it a poor choice. Less static thrust than the 80 inch prop and a lot more money. There may be other 3 blade CS props that would work well on the FX-3. I decided to get my prop clearance with 80/26 but to start with the training wheels (850). Too many loss of control accidents for low time FX-3 pilots on big tires.

Maybe one day I'll be disappointed with the takeoff performance of my 80 inch prop but, so far, I find it to be very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I decided to get my prop clearance with 80/26 but to start with the training wheels (850). Too many loss of control accidents for low time FX-3 pilots on big tires.

Maybe one day I'll be disappointed with the takeoff performance of my 80 inch prop but, so far, I find it to be very impressive.
    You are a wise man. Too much up selling of these heavy and expensive CC options, particularly to first time tail wheel pilots. Start with training wheels and work your way up.

I am all for these heavy, expensive options (bigger tires, longer props or even a constant speed prop system) if they deliver some real tangible value (performance) for the buck and the pound. Too many of these FX's seem to be configured for the big dream of trip to Alaska when day to day operations just don't require these expensive and heavy options.
    Last edited by turbopilot; 09-02-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Yes, I asked if I could have the 3 blade XCub CS prop on my FX-3. I was given early test data that showed the static thrust of that prop would make it a poor choice. Less static thrust than the 80 inch prop and a lot more money. There may be other 3 blade CS props that would work well on the FX-3. I decided to get my prop clearance with 80/26 but to start with the training wheels (850). Too many loss of control accidents for low time FX-3 pilots on big tires.

Two trains of thought. disclaimer: my opinion stinks just as much as everyone else.
    One is ABW's are far more forgiving of pilot errors on landing having saved pilots and aircraft from minor embarrassment to major wrecks. So starting out on them could actually be a safety net.
    Two, smaller tires will keep you on your toes literally so learning on them could be a good thing for some.
    Improper approach and landing speed (just too darn fast) is responsible for far more incidents than tire size, length of prop or whether you slept in a Holiday Inn Express than any other contributing factor. Fly them at speeds they were designed to be flown at and maybe our insurance rates might stabilize for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    So starting out on them could actually be a safety net.
    Two, smaller tires will keep you on your toes literally so learning on them could be a good thing for some.
    When I bought my first CC ten years ago I had 40 years of experience with tricycle gear airplanes and no tail wheel time. I took the same approach as Andy. The airplane came with 26" tires but I bought a pair of 850's (that I still have) and built some time in the CC before I progressed to 26" ABW. It felt right for me as a rookie tail wheel pilot.

In all my time flying the lower 48 in a CC since I have never found myself in a situation where I needed 29", 31" or 35" ABW's. But all that time is in the low gross weight SS. No doubt if I was flying a CC at 2,000 lbs gross weight there would be times a bigger tire would be the right choice. But then is a Carbon Cub really a Carbon Cub at 2,000 lbs.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

I may have given the impression that I'm a tail wheel newbie. I actually have over 600 hours and about 2000 landings tail wheel. Quite a few of the over 70 types I have flown were conventional gear.

However, I'm also old enough to know that I'm no longer as good as I used to think I was. My appetite for risk is a lot lower than it used to be.

Andy

I was curious to know how much it would actually cost to change from an 80 inch prop to an 83 inch prop. The hubs are the same part number so only a blade swap is required. Hartzell list price for 80 inch blade and 83 inch blade is the same - $6,069.00 each.

If one was competent to perform the blade swap the cost of the change would seem to be $12,138 plus tax and shipping. That is a lot more than the 83 inch option price but you do end up with a spare set of blades. Hartzell did suggest I should not buy directly from them as CubCrafters (and I assume other Hartzell re-sellers) would likely sell for less than list price.

I still have no doubt the 80 inch prop was the right choice for me.

I was curious to know how much it would actually cost to change from an 80 inch prop to an 83 inch prop. The hubs are the same part number so only a blade swap is required. Hartzell list price for 80 inch blade and 83 inch blade is the same - $6,069.00 each.

If one was competent to perform the blade swap the cost of the change would seem to be $12,138 plus tax and shipping. That is a lot more than the 83 inch option price but you do end up with a spare set of blades. Hartzell did suggest I should not buy directly from them as CubCrafters (and I assume other Hartzell re-sellers) would likely sell for less than list price.

I still have no doubt the 80 inch prop was the right choice for me.
    Andy - thanks for looking into that. I'm curious is there an option to upgrade or swap the 80” blades for 83” blades (plus some $j with Harzell that you are aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I'm curious is there an option to upgrade or swap the 80” blades for 83” blades (plus some $j with Harzell that you are aware of?
    I am not aware of any such option. The prop has several versions with the diameter indicated by the dash number (or lack of a dash number for the 83 inch version).

83″ 2-Blade Carbon Fiber Propeller, Standard Hub HC-C2YR-1N/NG8301
    80″ 2-Blade Carbon Fiber Propeller, Standard Hub HC-C2YR-1N/NG8301-3
    78″ 2-Blade Carbon Fiber Propeller, Standard Hub HC-C2YR-1N/NG8301-5
    76″ 2-Blade Carbon Fiber Propeller, Standard Hub HC-C2YR-1N/NG8301-7

More details of this propeller family are available in TCDS P-920. - https://tinyurl.com/y4sy6thr

If one really regretted buying an 80 inch prop it may be less expensive to buy a new 83 inch and sell the 80 inch to someone who had a smaller version and wanted to go bigger.

Remember there are two parts to this equation. Propeller and tire size. The 83" prop requires 29" or larger per CubCrafters. Whether the owner wants to take this risk is up to them obviously. There are a lot of variables in play on that decision. But if per the CubCrafters book you have the 83" prop cost and whatever a pair of 29" tires cost and any other mechanical changes required going from whatever tire size you have no to support the 29's (wheels, brakes, etc.). So what is your net cost per the CubCrafters rules?