Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

Default Re: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    It would be interesting to see a survey about what percentage of time a typical Carbon Cub owner flys alone. In my case probably 95%. In my 10 years watching Carbon Cub owners fly in and out of airports the vast majority are flying alone. So if your operations are mainly single pilot the weight limits of the SS ELSA are very easy to meet for routine local missions.
    I have to agree with you, almost all my logbook entries are just like that, solo and only hour or so. BUT the trips I remember have been the furthur afield ones complete with tent, sleeping bag and in quite a few cases company.

Like you I very much doubt the shorter takeoff roll, I've never measured it but I suspect they're pretty similar.

There's no doubt these are both great planes and I've been delighted with both. That said if anything (God forbid) were to happen to my FX-3 I know which I'd choose to replace it. And I'd get that parachute too.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Neal
    ‘I’ve owned (4) SS (1) FX (1) FX3 that were my personal everyday flyers. I still have a SS and a FX3. About 2500hrs in a SS and about 400 last year in FX3s. I’ve flown both 80-83. When I flew the 80” I couldn’t figure out what was different,but definitely noticeable. When I got back I found out it had a 80” prop. The SS is about 40’ shorter on takeoff with both equally loaded 1/2 fuel 1 person. Yes It’s a little heavier airplane. Good thing is you can pull it back to SS speeds be close to same fuel burn. Sometimes I’m burning just over 5 gals a hrs just goofing off. The nice part is when you want to go somewhere you can push it up to 125 and get there. There isn’t anywhere you can go in a SS I can’t go in a FX3 that you really have any business landing on. We regularly take 2 FX3s to lunch with 6-700’ of yard with having to clear a 40’ power line or trees at either end. Resale value is better, we are selling lot more FX3s then SS by far right now. The ailerons are night and day between them. Ive been running 35s on both SS & FX3 , 2 of my buddy’s runs 31s. There about 1-2 mph faster then me,not enough to worry about. I would highly recommend 83” prop,I always recommend 31s. There’s is quite a bit of difference between 29-31s when/if you land off airport. The fuel injection is really nice, very easy to start hot or cold,very balanced fuel to all cyl. I didn’t see any real difference in maintaining just finished having 2 annuals done and really wasn’t enough difference to talk about. After having my FX3 for a little while I Decided to put my SS back on floats and leave it there. I found there wasn’t anything that the FX3 kept me from doing so now I have a hot rod on floats and a Hot rod on wheels. If you really want to get pushed back in the seat get Chip to give you a demo in the new big engine XCUB. Rumor has it he’s gonna have one I his hanger in a couple weeks.
    My 2 cents
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Quote Originally Posted by Springloaded View Post
    Ive been running 35s on both SS & FX3 , 2 of my buddy’s runs 31s.
    35" tires on an SS would be 88 lbs. That is 10% of the empty weight of the entire airplane. Clearly you don't need floats on that SS, just a bigger tail wheel.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    35" tires on an SS would be 88 lbs. That is 10% of the empty weight of the entire airplane. Clearly you don't need floats on that SS, just a bigger tail wheel.
    Hmmm didn’t think of that🤔.Karen suggested i have one on floats and one on wheels so I didn’t have to switch back and forth,of course I didn’t argue😀. These planes don’t seem to mind the weight under the front seat,you don’t really notice it. You’ll see with a pod.
    Chuck
    Chuck Kinberger
    Southern Cubs
    Florida Cubcrafter Sales
    Jupiter Fl.
    Pa11890ck@gmail.com
    You can sit at home & hear the News or get out there & be the News

Someone didn't run the numbers. It's actually about the same cost to buy BushWheels after build as it is to have them fitted at original build. I specified 850s for the build and am fitting 26 inch BushWheels now I have some experience in the airplane. These tires will go anywhere I'm likely to want to take my FX-3 and they have lower cruise drag than 29s or 31s. I'll have a spare set of 850 tires and tubes at essentially zero cost.

My equipment selections were made on how I will actually use the airplane rather than how macho it might look.

I also chose the 80 inch prop. I maximize takeoff performance my controlling my weight.

Interestingly, for me at least, was that despite the prohibition on running an 83 inch prop with 850s I flew the demo FX-3 in exactly that configuration. (Don't do what I do, do what I tell you?).

Photo taken this morning while still on 850s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Andy,
    good cost analysis! True!

Is that Superior? Plane looking great.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Hi Rick,

Yes, E81. I was there Sunday but without a real camera. Went back early this morning with the Pentax for a photo shoot. Maybe one of them will make the calendar for next year.

Andy

Hope you have better luck than me! I havnt managed to make any of the calendars so far....

Ill have my new plane in early October... maybe we will see each other at the October Grapevine event.

Rick

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Someone didn't run the numbers. It's actually about the same cost to buy BushWheels after build as it is to have them fitted at original build.
    Actually..... it’s the prop that’s the cost saving in going to the 29/83” combination. As you say the price for the tyres is about the same but that’s only relevant if you were looking at retrofitting 29”+ Bushwheels and going to keep the 80”. My point was that if you ever were likely to want the 83” prop there would never be a cheaper time than at new build.

Nice plane btw. I was very tempted by the classic look.
    Bob Gray, FX-3 #38, ZK-FXC

Red face Re: FX3 with 80 or 83 inch prop

[QUOTE=Andy;25426]

My equipment selections were made on how I will actually use the airplane rather than how macho it might look.

Come on don't burst my bubble. There is nothing about this airplane I need for a flying mission but if we are talking life's mission let me tell you about my day. In the morning I slowly and occasionally painfully get up, kiss Judy good morning, walk, pee and feed Charlie dog then go out to the hanger with a cup of coffee, once there I stand back and admire her beauty, tenderly pat her cowl and might even thank her for always having a smile when she sees me. I check to be sure she sits evenly on her 31's and often think how she might look on 35's.
    (thanks Chuck) After finishing my coffee I'll head back in the house meeting Judy in the kitchen at which time she usually asked how my mistress is? With my head high and chest pumped out this macho man cheerfully says "Oh she's fine" then the rest of a beautiful day begins.
    Last edited by 40m; 09-02-2020 at 05:37 AM.