Thread: CC340 Burnt Intake Valves

Default CC340 Burnt Intake Valves

Has anyone had issues with the intake valves? Does anyone besides Titan make replacement cylinders?

Default Re: CC340 Burnt Intake Valves

I know the earlier CC340 engines which were bought from Titan and assembled by Aero Sport have many of the parts interchangeable with Lycoming parts. Because mine was one of those engines built in 2014, I have requested that Aero Sport use Lycoming replacement parts where ever possible during the rebuild of my engine. I know, for sure, that the pistons, valves, camshaft and lifters are interchangeable in my engine. You should call Aero Sport to ask them about cylinders.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Yep, with 300 hours I had to pull a cylinder with a burnt intake valve.

Steve - Thanks I’ll contact them.

John - I would keep an eye on the other ones. I had one at 600 hrs. And another one last weekend on a different cylinder at 650 hrs. We may have had the same dude building our engines that day.

Yes I lost the intake valve on # 4 on my SS. Seat and guide were fine, valve no. This happened at 400 hours. It backfired and blew the air cleaner element. This was on a 2012 model. I had the peppered nozzle. Drilled out the main jet with a #28 drill bit .1370". Seems this carb needs more fuel flow.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Yep, with 300 hours I had to pull a cylinder with a burnt intake valve.
    Have you had any more issues or find a cause. looks like I'm going down the same road at 275 hrs

Yep, I sold the plane last year and the new owner had another intake valve problem. Different cylinder, same problem. I was told by others (RV owners with the same engine), that the carburetor is undersized causing the burned intake valves. They recommended larger jets for the carburetor, more fuel during high power settings. If still had plane, I would give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Yep, I sold the plane last year and the new owner had another intake valve problem. Different cylinder, same problem. I was told by others (RV owners with the same engine), that the carburetor is undersized causing the burned intake valves. They recommended larger jets for the carburetor, more fuel during high power settings. If still had plane, I would give this a try.
    Question for those with burned intake valves. What would you estimate are your typical engine demands for sustained flight, ie 50%, 65% or 75% power for continuous level flight.

I have been operating a CC SS for 12 years typically using full power on takeoff but rarely operating at more than 50% in cruise. Never had a valve problem. Is it possible just by coincidence that the LSA power restrictions for CC SS just happen to be the best way to operate this engine with high compression ratio?
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Question for those with burned intake valves. What would you estimate are your typical engine demands for sustained flight, ie 50%, 65% or 75% power for continuous level flight.

I have been operating a CC SS for 12 years typically using full power on takeoff but rarely operating at more than 50% in cruise. Never had a valve problem. Is it possible just by coincidence that the LSA power restrictions for CC SS just happen to be the best way to operate this engine with high compression ratio?
    D you know what jet to buy and where to get one