Thread: Door now not latching

Default Door now not latching

Anyone experience this issue? On takeoff roll today the door fell open (and of course window went up). Was rolling into the throttle so not airborne yet.

After investigating at the hanger, the door pins that go into the fuse are now over rotating and barely engaging. When turning the handle to lock, the pins do extend, but when the latch is in the closed position, the pins retract just enough to where they are just sticking out of the door. I can tell by the wear makes on the pins where the original engagements to the fuse were. Handles are secure on the latch.

Have a bout 118hrs on the hobbs so not much door time. Any ideas?
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Default Re: Door now not latching

Dan, there are 2 little set screws in the handles that tend to come loose. I started using blue loctite on them. I imagine they are just loose and not letting the rods fully engage.

Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Anyone experience this issue? On takeoff roll today the door fell open (and of course window went up). Was rolling into the throttle so not airborne yet.

After investigating at the hanger, the door pins that go into the fuse are now over rotating and barely engaging. When turning the handle to lock, the pins do extend, but when the latch is in the closed position, the pins retract just enough to where they are just sticking out of the door. I can tell by the wear makes on the pins where the original engagements to the fuse were. Handles are secure on the latch.

Have a bout 118hrs on the hobbs so not much door time. Any ideas?
    Dave Embry
    "You only live once.......but if you do it right.........once is enough."..

Thanks Dave for the input.

I checked the handles by grabbing both at the same time, rotating them in different directions and they were tight. I recall loctiting (is that even a word?) when I originally assembled the door.

Funny thing is, it looks as if the locking mechanism is over rotating past where it use to causing the pins to extend then retract slightly.

This pic is with the handle in the closed position.

Door.jpg
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Oh....I just went and checked mine out and I see what you mean. As you turn the handle, the pins go out and then mine start to go back inwards just a bit, before locking in that positions. you got me......obviously there is a mechanism inside the door and it doesn’t look like you can get inside it???

I’d contact Jon Delamarter at kitsupport@cubcrafters.com and he can point you in the right direction I’m sure.

Thanks Dave for the input.

I checked the handles by grabbing both at the same time, rotating them in different directions and they were tight. I recall loctiting (is that even a word?) when I originally assembled the door.

Funny thing is, it looks as if the locking mechanism is over rotating past where it use to causing the pins to extend then retract slightly.

This pic is with the handle in the closed position.

Door.jpg
    Dave Embry

Ha! Thought I was going nuts. I mean this is a serious issue as it will cut into my flying time!

I'll give Jon a shout.

Cheers
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Huh? Duct Tape.....and keep on truckin’ 😜😜

\\
    Ha! Thought I was going nuts. I mean this is a serious issue as it will cut into my flying time!

I'll give Jon a shout.

Cheers
    Dave Embry

my thought exactly!
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL