Thread: Adding Camera to G3X

Default Adding Camera to G3X

I added a small backup camera to the video input on the G3X. It allows me to have a view in front while taxiing, but is primarily for off airport use. It makes it much easier to see large obstacles while taxiing in the rocks and weeds.

The total cost of the camera (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and RCA to BNC connector (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) was only $45 dollars on Amazon.

I used the transponder c/b, so the camera is only powered when the avionics switch is on. The right side cockpit panel was removed, which allowed easy access for the wire run from the firewall to the G3X and circuit breaker. Total time was approximately 1.5 hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Adding Camera to G3X

Nice inventiveness, Bruce!!!

Rick Bosshardt
    SunCountry Cubs
    CubCrafters Dealer for AZ/NM/UT/CO/southern WY
    www.suncountrycubs.com

Great job, Bruce - I just may have to do this myself. So is that Garmin video input plug just tied behind the panel somewhere? I’ve never looked.

It is easily accessible, and you can actually reach it without even removing the panel. The diagram from the installation manual shows the exact location.
    If you decide it is easier with the panel out, you only need to remove the four Allen bolts in the corners, which are 3/32 in size.

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 9.02.00 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCub View Post
    Great job, Bruce - I just may have to do this myself. So is that Garmin video input plug just tied behind the panel somewhere? I’ve never looked.

Excelent Job Bruce